• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wow never realised these times were so good!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I'd love to - but the boomers are everywhere...

What do you want exactly? To live somewhere where a whole large section of the population has been eliminated? Hitler tried that....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      By 'eck that's a grubby cat in one of those photos.

I wonder what those kids were doing down that drain.

And some of 'em were ginger.

And this "boomer" used an outside bog until 1969, first fridge in 1967, washing machine appeared in 1954 & lasted until 1977, ZeitParents lived with ZeitGrandParents until the ZeitGrandParents popped their clogs.

So it was all good clean fun being a boomer.

B&W telly with one channel in 1958.

B&W telly with two channels in 1962.

B&W telly with three channels in 1967.

Colour telly in 1981*.

Telephone in 1983 after waiting 2 fecking years & it was a partly line.

First VCR in 1983.

First CP/M computer in 1985.

First PC in 1989**.

Yup.

It's all down to the boomers without any shadow of a doubt.

*2nd attempt. The one I bought in 1980 lasted exactly 10 minutes before dying. It was, of course, British "made" by Rank Bush Murphy. Out of crap.

**First hard disk lasted all of a year. Replacement 40Mb drive cost £130.
      I second all that.

Actually I bought my first hard disk in 1988. It was all of 60Mb and cost £600. Still, it lasted 2 years. But otherwise quite parallel. Or to put it another way, PurpleGorilla, it has taken me a lifetime's hard work to get where I am, and that is not nearly as wealthy as you seem to imagine, and none of it has been at anyone else's cost. So **** off with the It's-all-the-boomers'-fault tulipe.

Comment

Jobs for life - nope!
        Guilded pensions HaHaHaHa! Nope.
        Inflation to erode debts Didn't live in debt. Nope.
        Interest free loans from employer Nope.
        Leave work at work (no blackberries on the beach) OK. But staying longer at work was expected.
        Secretaries Joke! No PCs, what do you expect, a typewriter on every desk?
        Cheap housing Not really.
        Cheap land Eh??
        Cheap petrol Not that I remember, from the 1973 oil shock onwards (just when I got a car)
        Cheap fuel you jest.
        Cheap cigs and alcohol less ruinously expensive cigs and alcohol
        Shorter life expectancy
        No computer games
        No internet
        No mobile phones
        Only B&W TV, if you could afford one
        Renting a bedsit until you were 30
        Need Bank of England permission to take £50 out of the country on holiday
        Cars needed a tune-up and oil change every other week
        No contraception for unmarried people

Plenty more will come back to me if I let it, but I'd rather forget how hard life was.

And I seriously think you have NO IDEA who the Boomers are, you just think that your problems are due to EVERYONE older than you. Well wise up, they always were.
        Last edited by expat; 19 August 2015, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I just ignore their pathetic childish whining noises.
          Ah, you are wiser than I.

Comment

Wow never realised these times were so good!

Its amazing how the 'iPad' generation gets mocked for its love of technology. But lots of the examples of how tough it was from the boomers are all tech tech tech (b&w telly, mobile phones)!

I'm not that young but I am old enough to have missed the market which took off around 1998 and has gone silly.

I get all of that on the demand side, but prices have doubled even tripled in 10 years. Quite a lot of this has been to massive speculation and BTL. Mostly boomers.

What do I want; to strip speculation out of the market and change the reliance on house prices as such an asset. Boomer "my portfolio is my pension".

I want far better rent controls, and rules surrounding lending and BTL investment. My view is that people should not be able to make so much money out of the market.

I would like boomers to STFU about how hard it was, because hard work bought you a mansion. Today hard work is lucky to buy you a bed sit.

There are doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers out there with massive education debt and staring at a mountain of house prices. Do they not work hard too?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Look young people, us silver foxes took all the money and all the lovely big spacious houses with land in the best areas. It's been great and we're fooking loaded.
            Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 20 August 2015, 06:24.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Its amazing how the 'iPad' generation gets mocked for its love of technology. But lots of the examples of how tough it was from the boomers are all tech tech tech (b&w telly, mobile phones)!

I'm not that young but I am old enough to have missed the market which took off around 1998 and has gone silly.

I get all of that on the demand side, but prices have doubled even tripled in 10 years. Quite a lot of this has been to massive speculation and BTL. Mostly boomers.

What do I want; to strip speculation out of the market and change the reliance on house prices as such an asset. Boomer "my portfolio is my pension".

I want far better rent controls, and rules surrounding lending and BTL investment. My view is that people should not be able to make so much money out of the market.

I would like boomers to STFU about how hard it was, because hard work bought you a mansion. Today hard work is lucky to buy you a bed sit.

There are doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers out there with massive education debt and staring at a mountain of house prices. Do they not work hard too?
              You make some good points but then cover them with a smoke-screen of Boomer hatred. Please have the courtesy, and the rationality, to condemn behaviour that is wrong, and people who do it; rather than demonising an entire age-group.

For example if you want "to strip speculation out of the market and change the reliance on house prices as such an asset", I would entirely agree with that. You can say that without using the word "Boomer".

Comment

Blah

Blah
                Really - my parents worked hard both of them and I was not bought up in a mansion - neither were any of my friends

We were all bought up in 3/4 bed semi/detached houses which is what the youth of today will be able to afford if they stopped spunking their money on trendy must have now things and started saving

as for lawyers being hard-working pleeeeease monica - hard workers are hard workers regardless of their profession.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  You make some good points but then cover them with a smoke-screen of Boomer hatred. Please have the courtesy, and the rationality, to condemn behaviour that is wrong, and people who do it; rather than demonising an entire age-group.

For example if you want "to strip speculation out of the market and change the reliance on house prices as such an asset", I would entirely agree with that. You can say that without using the word "Boomer".
                  Hmm. I will try to tone down the boomer rhetoric. It will be hard though...

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Absolute rubbish. It has all been speculation and BTL. Boomers have to live somewhere. If they downsize, it will just break a different part of the market.

The issue is allowing foreigners to buy homes. And second home owners.

No foreigners to own homes. 100% tax on rental income.

Comment

Hmm. I will try to tone down the boomer rhetoric. It will be hard though...

say what you want but I would.....

would Mich...

??

Comment

Working...
                      X