• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barn Conversions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Sure! Then we could have a cuk party once I've moved in.

As if.
    I'll bring the lube.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      That's a bit harsh mate. I guess what OP is looking for is advice from his peers, which is understandable. But there must be "barn conversion" forums that might give better advice.
      Oh well I dint mean to be harsh.

You think MP might be mortally offended? Come to think of it she is known as being the sensitive sort, who cannot take banter very well. A delicate flower.

You're right, I was out of line. I am so sorry MP. Dry your eyes, I promise not to be mean to you ever again.

Lots of love

Suity
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        A decent multiburner, a Clearview for example, gives off a tremendous amount of heat, if you stuff it with anthracite, probably easily enough to warm a fair sized house.

I'd go for it MP. The place sounds lovely, and apart from anything else I'm sure would be a good investment.

BTW, how large is the garden or land surrounding it, and is the back garden south(ish) facing.

Also, is the place near a main road or through road or blatantly overlooked, or near to or on by steeply rising ground, especially of an east/south/west aspect which would shorten the effective day ?
        Thanks, that's a lovely post.

The garden is fairly large, and south facing at the back. It's at the end of a fairly long access road into a manor estate, it's quite secluded and not overlooked at all from what I saw.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Things to consider:

Any shared services (water, electric supply, gas), shared driveway or parking?
          Rights of way, listed status, covenants?
          Heating costs/energy efficiency rating?
          What dim said and also:

Is it a listed building, whilst the inside maybe newish the structure could be listed, you might want to factor in higher maintenance cost, any work will need to be kept original, also if thatched, they need re-thatching every 15-20 years

Does it have underfloor heating, probably not if it was done 18 years ago which would be a shame better overall heat and much more cost effective for large space

Comment

Check the approach roads. If you see grit or salt bins, make sure you have/get a 4X
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              What dim said and also:

Is it a listed building, whilst the inside maybe newish the structure could be listed, you might want to factor in higher maintenance cost, any work will need to be kept original, also if thatched, they need re-thatching every 15-20 years

Does it have underfloor heating, probably not if it was done 18 years ago which would be a shame better overall heat and much more cost effective for large space
              It's not listed, no. I have to say that'd be a deal breaker for me I think.

Is it possible to retrofit underfloor heating in that sort of place or is that crazy talk?

It's actually not that big, mind.

My LV handbag is slightly bigger than the main bathroom.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Check the approach roads. If you see grit or salt bins, make sure you have/get a 4X
                Yes rural Stropshire can be very cold and snowy.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  It's not listed, no. I have to say that'd be a deal breaker for me I think.

Is it possible to retrofit underfloor heating in that sort of place or is that crazy talk?

It's actually not that big, mind.

My LV handbag is slightly bigger than the main bathroom.
                  It's possible but you can't live in it at the time its being done.... My issue would be that 18 years ago the insulation rules were not as robust as they are more recently so windows and walls won't be as insulated as a new conversion would be...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I miss the days when ramshackle old barns and farm buildings dotted the countryside around here.

As a boy I would spend endless summer days playing on the old rusting farm machinery that lay within, building dens among the hay bales, marvelling at the wildlife that would make its home in such places; a bat here and there, perhaps, maybe a family of barn owls, one of the local stable girls beam end up with the farmer's son.

Nowadays, the typical denizens of such properties are smug, downshifting hipsters from London with their eco-friendly under floor heating and no end of artefacts that advertise their trendy right-on credentials but who sadly make little attempt to integrate with us mere mortals asides from issuing po-faced admonishments to anyone who dares admit that they once enjoyed the Black and White Minstrels.

Comment

Check for flood risks and get the drainage checked. Is it connected for mains sewage or does it have a septic tank? Septic tanks are no good for baby wipes.

Comment

Working...
                      X