• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crime and Punishment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Prestuplyeniye i Nakazaniye.....

Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevski, brilliant book, captivating. Actually it's not - it's dead boring, had to go back to the beginning three times cos I forgot what had happened.

Basically, poor student thinks he above the the rest of us (like sasguru) and thinks the pawnbroker woman he owes money to is not worthy so he kills her (and her sister or cousin or sth, same thing to Russians) and then feels guilty and feels like everyone knows what he's done for like 7/8th of the book and worries at lot, then confesses, gets sent to the most liberal hard labour camp in history and finds God.

The End.
    Thanks. That's saved me months of tedium.

Can you tell me what happens in Moby Dick?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Thanks. That's saved me months of tedium.

Can you tell me what happens in Moby Dick?
      Bloke follows this whale around that sank his ship and kills it and himself.

Anymore one sentence summaries of great novels?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Bloke follows this whale around that sank his ship and kills it and himself.

Anymore one sentence summaries of great novels?
        A Christmas Carol:
        Some ghosts convince a rich greedy Tory to become a charitable do-gooder so that people will like him.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The Hobbit:
          Bilbo is recruited to help steal some jewellery from a dragon. He does, and on the way finds a magic ring. Then they murder the dragon.

Lord of The Rings:
          Turns out the magic ring is a bit of a big deal so Frodo (Bilbo's nephew) is sent on a mission to throw it in a volcano. He does, and everyone is happy.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Les Miserables. Ex-con makes good while tracked by cop.

I enjoyed Crime and Punishment. But then, there's a lot more to a good read than plot. I thoroughly enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss - and he spends 12 pages describing how someone makes soap.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I enjoyed Crime and Punishment. But then, there's a lot more to a good read than plot. I thoroughly enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss - and he spends 12 pages describing how someone makes soap.
              Then you're in the right job as an admin on here.

Comment

CUK. Drivel.

Comment

Mysterious stranger arrives in London from South America. An accident prone illegal immigrant or an endearing friend ?

Paddington Bear
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

We were settling down to watch Titanic when 12 year old niece enters and informs us

'..oh I've seen this one. She lives, he dies, the boat sinks'

So we got our coats and went out for a drink instead....
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                      We were settling down to watch Titanic when 12 year old niece enters and informs us

'..oh I've seen this one. She lives, he dies, the boat sinks'

So we got our coats and went out for a drink instead....
                      I remember watching it with my then six year old son, the bit where Capt Smith is on the bridge as the water starts to creep towards him.

Lad says "He's gonna get his shoes wet..."

Understatement of the decade I think...

Comment

Working...
                      X