• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear (tm): Generation rent: the housing ladder starts to collapse for the under-40

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Which is precisely why I upped sticks and moved to Wales, can have a high level of disposable income and a big house with a small mortgage rather than a hovel near London

And I can drink mead whilst I sit on my porch and look across to Snowdonia
    MB I like your style
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      The landlords are not the problem, the shortage of houses is.

If the BTL landlords evict their tenants and sell their flats etc who is going to buy them ?

3 choices

1. Speculators probably foreign who will buy and not let it out.
      2. Contractors who need a week home and an investment.
      3. Rich people who want a second home in an area for the week, weekend or their kids and now they are cheap snap them up..

none of those will help most renters.

We made much more money out of other businesses but its part of the portfolio.
      They should give tenants the right to buy their rented property at a knock down price, perhaps the value when they moved in. Then the answer to your first question is simple: the tenants. You don't need a deposit if you can buy the house at 20% off its current value.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I rent and I've just had my terrace relaid, my balcony all relaid, the outside all repainted, some plumbing done, underground garage renovated, garden (what there is of it) all done and didn't have to pay a penny extra. When anything goes titsup I don't have to dig into my savings, get a bank loan, worry, etc. as its the landlords responsibility
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I rent and I've had nothing done to the house in the 10 years since I moved in, apart from one emergency repair and a bit of painting that I had to organise myself

Lazy profiteering landlord

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I rent and I've just had my terrace relaid, my balcony all relaid, the outside all repainted, some plumbing done, underground garage renovated, garden (what there is of it) all done and didn't have to pay a penny extra. When anything goes titsup I don't have to dig into my savings, get a bank loan, worry, etc. as its the landlords responsibility
            WHS. And my rent hasn't gone up in 10 years of renting the same place. I was seriously going to buy 6 months ago, but I decided it was just too much of a ridiculous financial undertaking and I'd have been in the tulip straight away if I lost my income for any reason.

Now being made redundant. Phew.

I don't know why people think owning your own home gives you stability. Unless you really do own your own home (i.e. no mortgage) AND have plenty of cash you're in a more precarious position than a renter.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I don't know why people think owning your own home gives you stability. Unless you really do own your own home (i.e. no mortgage) AND have plenty of cash you're in a more precarious position than a renter.
              Personal xp got kicked out twice by landlords because they a) wanted to sell, b) wanted to stick their son in the place. Both times after 6 months. Complete load of ball tulip to have to move that frequently.

I've said it before and I will say it again boomer BTL tw@ts have tuliped this country for personal greed. Generation x are in the gloop, go Corbyn is all I can say. Could see a SNP like voter response to Corbyn if he gets in; which could lead to some refreshing social changes.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Consider yourself lucky. When you have a couple of kids in nursery/school and the Landlord decides to terminate your tenancy on a whim (being fully in his rights as an owner) and you have to scramble to find a place nearby with short notice you might change your view.

Buying a home is not a got given right, but it sure as hell shouldn't be made in to a high privilege. And the government should be there to protect the people from the profiteering Russian/Middle eastern/Asian investors as well as the home grown BTL Landlords exploiting the market. There are million ways to achieve this and they are well known and used elsewhere, unfortunately no one gives a flying tulip about the ordinary taxpayers, as they have no choice - vote Labor, Tory, UKIP, SNP - doesn't matter in any case 60% of the population is shafted at the expense of the 40% "majority"

Most of the generation "Rent" is not asking for state handouts or free lunch, but for measures to be taken to rein in the out of control housing market.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Consider yourself lucky. When you have a couple of kids in nursery/school and the Landlord decides to terminate your tenancy on a whim (being fully in his rights as an owner) and you have to scramble to find a place nearby with short notice you might change your view.

Buying a home is not a got given right, but it sure as hell shouldn't be made in to a high privilege. And the government should be there to protect the people from the profiteering Russian/Middle eastern/Asian investors as well as the home grown BTL Landlords exploiting the market. There are million ways to achieve this and they are well known and used elsewhere, unfortunately no one gives a flying tulip about the ordinary taxpayers, as they have no choice - vote Labor, Tory, UKIP, SNP - doesn't matter in any case 60% of the population is shafted at the expense of the 40% "majority"

Most of the generation "Rent" is not asking for state handouts or free lunch, but for measures to be taken to rein in the out of control housing market.
                  It's not all gloom, this pair of ex public sector workers seem quite upbeat.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ce47b6dc-0...#axzz3giiVGLdu

Maybe they could knock of 5% for a cash offer, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Personal xp got kicked out twice by landlords because they a) wanted to sell, b) wanted to stick their son in the place. Both times after 6 months. Complete load of ball tulip to have to move that frequently.
                    Well it's like contracting vs. being an employee. At least with a contract you have an end date.

Looking at The Daily Mail (sorry) in the pub last night and there was a story about Osbourne looking at clamping down on mortgages for BTL Scum. So there is hope.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

I've said it before and I will say it again boomer BTL tw@ts have tuliped this country for personal greed. Generation x are in the gloop, go Corbyn is all I can say. Could see a SNP like voter response to Corbyn if he gets in; which could lead to some refreshing social changes.
                      Can you please knock off with the "boomer" BS please?

Comment

Working...
                      X