• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear (tm): Generation rent: the housing ladder starts to collapse for the under-40

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Beans on toast:

The way that's shooting up I would have bought a few years ago if I were you. Boomed!

HTH BIDI

Comment

oh dear (tm): Generation rent: the housing ladder starts to collapse for the ...

Japan house prices. (Small island, over crowded, low interest rates):

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

versus wages :

oh look its down to the same ratio as when I bought my first house.
        Fill yer boots.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Japan house prices. (Small island, over crowded, low interest rates):

If that's in USD then it will look like a collapse because the USDJPY exchange rate collapsed due to the ZIRP and money printing in Japan a decades ago.

Also, Japan has almost no immigration, so no external demand for housing.

So dream on, UK prices will double again in ten years due to 600,000 people arriving EVERY year. That's a small country like Norway's population relocating to (mostly SE England) every decade.

I think my property empire is safe as houses.

Comment

You think now is a good time to buy?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

look how cheap they are compared to 2008 what are you complaining about?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Well in 1999 I was a permie on £50K, so that means the average house (about £100K) was 2x my income.

In 2013, it looks like the average was £160K, so still about 2x my income for that year.

What's the problem? If you discount London and the SE, there's no problem affording a modest house if you have an education and some skills.

Comment

Its funny how people complain when the cost of petrol or fags goes up, but if the cost of housing going down is seen as a bad thing.

Spending less on housing would give a huge boost to peoples balance sheet, and to the economy. Think about it, if your mortgage was half the amount. Wound be good wouldn't it.

Hi prices have delayed families having kids, and force many women back to work when they would prefer to raise their babies. Call me a traditionalist, but that is essential quality time that we are making harder for mums to undertake.

I dot give a flying f about making money on the market. Houses are homes, not assets.
                  Quite right. People think of things like petrol as things they need to buy, but houses as things they should already have, somehow missing the fact that you have to buy one first.

It reminds me of Warren Buffett saying that (unlike many of his investors) he doesn't feel good about share prices going up. That's because he is thinking of buying more, rather than just sitting back smug about what he already owns. As he said, if you like hamburgers would you feel happy to see the price of hamburgers go up?

Houses are things you want or need; not stores of wealth, or self-worth.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Houses are things you want or need; not stores of wealth, or self-worth.
                    Don't mistake how you think things should be with how they are (especially in the UK).

Sorry, but it makes you sound rather pathetic.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                      Bloody Hell!

I thought I'd logged onto housepricecrash.co.uk by mistake from the amount of entitlement mentality whining I have just read...

Don't be daft, it's not entitlement when it's YOU that's affected - it's the government stealing from you or wanting to destroy your way of life. It's only entitlement when it's some other group of people, ideally poor people, who are complaining that changes impact them.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X