• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living Wage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another policy that's going to be an immigrant magnet.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Perhaps the greater question is why are there so many unskilled people who can't do anything better? And that comes back to education.
      Seems to me that there is some sort of complicated dance that goes on between:
      • low skilled jobs
      • low skilled job wages
      • education
      • technology, in particular automation (eg, why is it that in 2015 I still can't order my fast food from a robot and get it made and delivered by another robot? eg, why can't I do a self-check-in at the pub using my contactless card and receive a pint poured by a robot?)
      • government regulation
      • globalisation
      • energy return on energy invested

Anyone fancy doing a phd?

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
        [*]technology, in particular automation (eg, why is it that in 2015 I still can't order my fast food from a robot and get it made and delivered by another robot? eg, why can't I do a self-check-in at the pub using my contactless card and receive a pint poured by a robot?)
        There's a depressing lack of robots making our day to day lives easier.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          There's a depressing lack of robots making our day to day lives easier.
          Oh I don't know....

34 Robots You Can Have Sex With
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            some of the names and descriptions had me crying!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Another policy that's going to be an immigrant magnet.
              That's right. We must make the UK a hell-hole to discourage immigrants.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                That's right. We must make the UK a hell-hole to discourage immigrants.
                they can all move to Syria
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how a "mandatory living wage" differs from a "minimum wage"

How will it be enforced? Will the minimum wage be abolished? Will the living wage take account of regional variations in the cost of living?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    Can anyone tell me how a "mandatory living wage" differs from a "minimum wage"
                    It doesn't. They've headed off all the nonsense about a "living wage" by rebranding the minimum wage as living wage.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm probably against a minimum wage, I think the country generally worked quite well before it was introduced.

Sadly I think this is the pawn that has to be pushed up the table to get rid of working tax credits which are an abomination left by Labour.

Comment

Working...
                      X