• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Fallacy of global warming debunked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Well, yes, since controls on hunting were introduced....
    At last, after denying the facts for years, pj finally agrees that polar bear numbers are rising.

It wont be long before he sees that arctic ice is up, Antarctic ice is up, biofuels are a bad idea, wind and solar are not baseload solutions and keeping the third world in energy poverty is a disastrous solution to a non problem
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Palm oil usage ...
      Exactly.....and what is Palm Oil ?

...and what about the deforestation in Europe and North America, that's OK is it ?

...and er can you please please explain the logic that deforestation leads to lower CO2 ?

They cut the trees down, burn them, whilst smoking pot and pontificating about global warming, and now missing forest doesn't soak up the CO2.

But then again this isn't about being logical is it? it's more of a religious thing.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 June 2015, 13:32.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        At last, after denying the facts for years, pj finally agrees that polar bear numbers are rising.

It wont be long before he sees that arctic ice is up, Antarctic ice is up, biofuels are a bad idea, wind and solar are not baseload solutions and keeping the third world in energy poverty is a disastrous solution to a non problem
        Actually, the data on Ursus Maritimus are quite uncertain. They're hard to count. There are 19 distinct populations and the data on 9 of them is too sparse to come to any conclusion, of the rest, 6 are stable, 1 is increasing and 3 are declining.

It wont be long before he sees that arctic ice is up
        I think it will ....
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Greenland ice tracking well above the 25 year average

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Exactly.....and what is Palm Oil ?

...and what about the deforestation in Europe and North America, that's OK is it ?

...and er can you please please explain the logic that deforestation leads to lower CO2 ?

They cut the trees down, burn them, whilst smoking pot and pontificating about global warming, and now missing forest doesn't soak up the CO2.

But then again this isn't about being logical is it? it's more of a religious thing.
            Have a nice lie down and a decaff. I'm quite happy to discuss points I've actually made, points you've made up for me ...... not so much.

Less than 5% of palm oil goes to biodiesel, the vast majority ends up in foodstuffs and cosmetics etc. Always has. That scary 'deforestation' photo dates from 2009, three years earlier those doped up hippies at Friends of the Earth put out this position statement saying that chopping down the trees to make way for this product is a bad idea.
            Last edited by pjclarke; 19 June 2015, 13:53.

Comment

ref my post above. just to reinforce the point
              Greenland is gaining trillions of tons of ice, in THE MIDDLE of the melt season
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Have a nice lie down and a decaff. I'm quite happy to discuss points I've actually made, points you've made up for me ...... not so much.

Less than 5% of palm oil goes to biodiesel, the vast majority ends up in foodstuffs and cosmetics etc. Always has. That scary 'deforestation' photo dates from 2009, three years earlier those doped up hippies at Friends of the Earth put out this position statement saying that chopping down the trees to make way for this product is a bad idea.
                I didn't say you suggested that deforestation is good.

Just pointing out the consequences of the actions of those you
                support

...and as for Palm Oil, of course it's used in a wide variety of products, but where's the growth ? and what's the aim of it's expansion.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 June 2015, 14:14.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I didn't say you suggested that deforestation is good.

Just pointing out the consequences of the actions of those you support.

..and as for palm oil, sure it's used in a wide variety of products and has for over a hundred years but what is causing the recent expansion ?

Here are the figures, because it's more than palm oil plantations:

http://www.tristatebiodiesel.com/def...ion_report.pdf

Biofuels causing deforestation is a significant problem, and your pot smoking friends are responsible, in spite of their remonstrations they don't want to see deforestation, sure, but they still prefer it to coal. They made a choice, because you have to, and deforestation it will be.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 June 2015, 14:35.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    ref my post above. just to reinforce the point
                    Greenland is gaining trillions of tons of ice, in THE MIDDLE of the melt season
                    Huh? Its fairly clear from the surface mass balance graph you posted that the SMB accumulates for nine months of the year, offset by melting from mid-June to September.

And you might want to read up on the definition of surface (as opposed to total) mass balance - briefly, it includes changes by accumulation and ablation processes, but excludes dynamic processes, such as glacier calving. As the last para in the linked pages notes ...

If climate changes, the surface mass balance may change such that it no longer matches the calving and the ice sheet can start to gain or lose mass. This is important to keep track of, since such a mass loss will lead to global sea level rise. As mentioned, satellites measuring the ice sheet mass have observed a loss of around 200 Gt/year over the last decade

Comment

Huh? Its fairly clear from the surface mass balance graph you posted that the SMB accumulates for nine months of the year, offset by melting from mid-June to September.

And you might want to read up on the definition of surface (as opposed to total) mass balance - briefly, it includes loss by accumulation and ablation processes, but excludes dynamic processes, such as glacier calving. As the last para in the linked pages notes ...
                      ....hmmm

But is there more accumulation than normal ?

Hint ...look at the data
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X