• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B for those too Lazy to make their own Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Getting a business partner who can talk the talk is the best advice I can give for a plan B.

Align yourself with someone who knows the industry. You tap out the code, they do the deals, make the connections.
    Yes that's what I tried. He currently owes me money for my share, and I don't have much hope of ever seeing it. All things considered I think I could have done a better job by myself; maybe it would have sold less but at least whatever it made would have been 100% mine.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
      The slightly depressing thing I find about the internet is that whenever I think I have a bright idea, after a bit of googlingg
      I've often wondered if the mere act of googling might cause genuinely new ideas to get picked up by someone else.... (Google to start with?)

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I guess if the market is there for an idea and you don't implement it, someone else will
      It also takes work to find out if there is market for an idea... Unless you just develop something awesome anyway and then build an entirely new market for it that didn't exist at all before.

Comment

Sometimes people open a business doing something they enjoy. Sometimes it has nothing to do with what they are actually good or experienced at. Like somebody on here opening up a microbrewery, or making cakes, or some other attractive cottage industry. In truth, the cake maker would be better sticking to MySQL, cos that's what he is good at.

The world is not going to pay you to sit at home sipping wine and carving artesan golf tees at £10 a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Yes that's what I tried. He currently owes me money for my share, and I don't have much hope of ever seeing it. All things considered I think I could have done a better job by myself; maybe it would have sold less but at least whatever it made would have been 100% mine.
          My partner was the one that had the idea, he spent a few months writing the prototype in python ( he can't code ) before asking me to get involved. I rewrote it in 2 days using java.

I've not contracted in 2 years, during that time I've been floating about the start up industry, the amount of absolutely ridiculous ideas I see people spending time on is phenomenal. But worse than that is the business development governmental agencies that will quite happily chuck money at absolute nonsense. Wedding planning mobile apps and such like.

Comment

I have a lot of respect for AtW now, I gave that chap dogs abuse over SKA. Completely unwarranted for which I unreservedly apologise for now.

Getting a plan B to Plan A is murder, it takes years, I could have went for an easy 500 a day over that time, I've shot a great deal of my warchest and if my wife was not a GP who could support me then it would never have happened.

Being rich has never really been a factor in this, what I have always disliked about being a contractor is the lack of respect you are given. I have respect now.

Comment

I have a couple of ideas that I just never get round to delivering due to having to contract! But my time is now. I've just about got to the position where I can take sufficient time off to finish and deliver plan B. It's a difficult choice seeing the warchest become depleted and turning down decent contract offers but I'm at the point where mentally I just have to do this. I have no choice anymore. It's sending me crazy sat here, staring at my screen, wishing I was doing my plan B instead. Just a few weeks left and then it's my time.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                But my time is now. ... Just a few weeks left and then it's my time.
                Start today.

Comment

read coding horror and Joel Spolsky both have some interesting things to say.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X