• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Except that the IR have composites on their radar.
    Does that include Giant?

(Who I've found pretty good BTW)
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

A one month notice period can be offset by accrued holiday - depends on terms and conditions I would imagine... (i've done that once), but it is best to leave on good terms - references count.

So, the advice is - stash away the cash, until next February / March, check out the market, and hand in your notice if you really think you can handle the lifestyle. Think in terms of potentially looking for a new job every three months and see if that appeals.

Oh, and if married, divorce first.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I'm in the same situation, I do get call backs for contracts I apply for but the 4 weeks notice is always the problem.

I'm considering giving notice then asking if I can be let go sooner if a role turns up - HR have told me it's at my line manager's discretion but that involves laying my cards on the table.

I'm looking for 2nd line helpdesky type stuff which is what I do - am I right in thinking that if things get really dire I can be considered for more junior 1st line roles even though I may be 'overqualified'?

I need to justify giving notice with nowhere to go to the other half...

No kids, no mortgage - just a mountain of debt, parents said they'd take me in if the **** hits the fan. I don't see any other way of making the switch TBH by the time I've saved up a few months living expenses on the permie wage with all the debt s to pay off I'll be in my 40s (I'm 33 now.. )
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
        X