• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which PM Methodology?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.axelos.com/best-practice.../prince2-agile

I have no idea what that involves - I just saw someone tweet about it.

But... I strongly suspect that 'Agile' or PRINCE2 is a false dichotomy.

Comment

it depends - are you actually trying to deliver a project or just go through the motions and produce lots of paperwork showing why the project failed?

Agile is difficult to do with 3rd parties as the charging model becomes very vague or you do a per day charge and the cost can become high if not well managed

Prince is better as you can get the 3rd party suppliers to costs against clear deliverables problem is as some people struggle to define requirements you often find when the product is delivered everybody wants to do a bit of a tweak and so you become sort of Agile.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        it depends - are you actually trying to deliver a project or just go through the motions and produce lots of paperwork showing why the project failed?

Agile is difficult to do with 3rd parties as the charging model becomes very vague or you do a per day charge and the cost can become high if not well managed

Prince is better as you can get the 3rd party suppliers to costs against clear deliverables problem is as some people struggle to define requirements you often find when the product is delivered everybody wants to do a bit of a tweak and so you become sort of Agile.
        1 weakness of agile is that I'm seeing it being used to allow the customer to skip any requirement gathering before work begins.... This is especially the case where its impossible to pin down 3rd party dependencies and requirements...

Agile then allows people to explicitly state assumptions and start development...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          1 weakness of agile is that I'm seeing it being used to allow the customer to skip any requirement gathering before work begins.... This is especially the case where its impossible to pin down 3rd party dependencies and requirements...

Agile then allows people to explicitly state assumptions and start development...
          It seems to depend on how they are using Agile, most sites (that I've worked on) don't have enough product owners to cover all the sprints. Therefore, the BA does the requirements up front, producing the basic user stories. The BA then becomes the product owner during the development sprint (along with being the tester as well). Any disagreements/design changes can be taken up with the true product owner during the build.

Comment

Yes Agile is not an excuse to not properly gather requirements..

It never has been.

It should be about a more flexible way of delivering what is needed by a few phases rather than doing all the coding, delivering what people thought they wanted 8 months ago and then having to do loads of rework.

Every software project I have been on has needed rework but almost every project had nothing in the plan.

Which is just naive.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Can we pre-order?
              Not yet but I've put a website up....

And found a prime example to start with
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not yet but I've put a website up....
                As a new WordPress user, you should go to your dashboard to delete this page and create new pages for your content. Have fun!
                On a website about bad planning and oversights, this is a great start
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X