• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the garage...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is 5 years old, but only on 26K miles - dunno how long these things usually last. (Nor even whether I've had them done before!)

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, luv.

You just have a nice cup of tea while the man sorts it out for you.
      That's just what I did. But I did have to get a man to show me how to work the tea machine...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Car is 5 years old, but only on 26K miles - dunno how long these things usually last. (Nor even whether I've had them done before!)
        Look, you're a contractor, it cost you a couple of hours pay, the economy was boosted, you have new brake pads and disks. What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Well it's done. Tyres definitely needed doing. I could see the pads were very low. Just the discs I wasn't convinced by, but tis done.

MOT Thursday, so hopefully a clean sheet.
          You could ask to have the old disks, take them along with you when you go to the MOT and ask them what they think of the condition.

See if the tyre place suddenly panic when you ask for the old disks...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            A couple of quid? Not on a 911 Turbo S they ain't.
            If you're driving it how you should be, then you'll need new discs every few changes anyway

But yes, quite obviously, I wasn't talking about sports cars.

Comment

just something else to think about, your average tyre place will get his parts from the local motor factors, they won't be OEM (origional equipment)

Chances are they go for the cheapest part with the biggest markup, they may not last as long as your origional disks\pads

Comment

Do kwikfit still do breaks for the life of the car?

If so even if you are being ripped off, keep going back to them and in the long run it won't be too bad.

I know I probably pay a little over the odds for work on my car, but its a tool of the trade, so I would rather that then take the risk that I am laid up at the side of the road one day missing a days billing
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Do kwikfit still do breaks for the life of the car?
                  The pads are lifetime guaranteed - but each time you go in they'll tell you that your disks need replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    The pads are lifetime guaranteed - but each time you go in they'll tell you that your disks need replacing.
                    Yeah, the Kwik Fit brakes for life is a huge con. And from what I recall they're shockingly expensive for pads, anyway.

There's something in the small print that basically says they'll only honour the free pads if you have any other brake work they recommend anyway.

Comment

I'd have waited to see if it fails the MOT before replacing disks. It's pretty unlikely anything bad will happen. Pads usually have an audible warning that they're on their last legs; you'll know by the horrendous scraping noise the car is making before they stop working, and you won't ignore that. The likes of KwikFit will tell you they need replacing when they're 60% worn, if they're being honest, knowing full well that most people go "oooh brakes! Oooh must replace those!", whereas it's not dangerous to let them get 99.9% worn.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X