• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the garage...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did 100k on a car without needing new pads and discs.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I did 150K on champagne and cocaine and only needed a change of underpants once.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I did 150K on champagne and cocaine and only needed a change of underpants once.
        Just because you only changed them once doesn't mean they didn't need changing more often.

Comment

Discs don't warp. They just don't.
          Disks certainly do warp and they do pit and groove some quicker than others however unless the pads are on the metal it is very rarely an urgent issue unless you can feel it through the peddle or the cars pulling to one side, pads will wear quicker with poor disks but these should be checked at service anyway.

it's one of those jobs you should get quotes for, its a pretty simple job to change thats why they do them at the tyre places

Unfortunately it's classic up-selling from the tyre company, lesson learnt this tme, next time you will know

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Really?

The vented ones go lumpy.

Trust me on that.
            I think he's being pedantic in that they don't warp in the way people think, but they definitely get high/low spots and other issues - which cause juddering etc.

MS - personally, I change disks near enough every time I change pads but that's because they're only a couple of quid. They will need changing every so often, and short of seeing it, nobody can say whether you're being ripped off BUT, if you're there for tyres - get your tyres and head elsewhere (somewhere trusted) for a second opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              Disks certainly do warp and they do pit and groove some quicker than others however unless the pads are on the metal it is very rarely an urgent issue unless you can feel it through the peddle or the cars pulling to one side, pads will wear quicker with poor disks but these should be checked at service anyway.

it's one of those jobs you should get quotes for, its a pretty simple job to change thats why they do them at the tyre places

Unfortunately it's classic up-selling from the tyre company, lesson learnt this tme, next time you will know
              http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I did 100k on a single set of tyres - the reason will be the same - they were awful and so hard they took forever to wear.

Better brakes will wear quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I think he's being pedantic in that they don't warp in the way people think, but they definitely get high/low spots and other issues - which cause juddering etc.

MS - personally, I change disks near enough every time I change pads but that's because they're only a couple of quid. They will need changing every so often, and short of seeing it, nobody can say whether you're being ripped off BUT, if you're there for tyres - get your tyres and head elsewhere (somewhere trusted) for a second opinion.
                  A couple of quid? Not on a 911 Turbo S they ain't.

Comment

Well it's done. Tyres definitely needed doing. I could see the pads were very low. Just the discs I wasn't convinced by, but tis done.

MOT Thursday, so hopefully a clean sheet.

Comment

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, luv.

You just have a nice cup of tea while the man sorts it out for you.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X