• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make property more affordable for the young?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    PS

Plenty of jobs and affordable homes in places like New Zealand. If young people can't see the opportunity and the life they could live there, they deserve a £400K debt round their necks for a bedsit in Luton.
    I'm told NZ properties are sky rocketing thanks to overseas investors buying everything up. Also been told there's bugger all jobs, but this is second hand so may be talking tulip.

Half the problem is all the houses are being hogged by people now living too long. We need a good middle class disease.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The government cound BTL lending as lending to business, this way, by getting the wealthy to buy up the housing stock they can tell the world our economy is booming and business is booming.

We just need more gullible young people to rent them. Maybe we could talk about cutting immigration but allow it to reach the highest annual level ever? There's an idea for more "business" lending and growth....

Comment

Long and short of it is there isn't the supply to meet the demand, absoultly no other reason for house prices, we are a small over populated country in key area's. We could build 100,000 new hows in the arse end of no where dirt cheap, but without the jobs to go with them its pointless.

Also people need to realise owning a house is not a right, Germany has the right model, very few people own their own houses and rents are kept reasonable.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          PS

Plenty of jobs and affordable homes in places like New Zealand. If young people can't see the opportunity and the life they could live there, they deserve a £400K debt round their necks for a bedsit in Luton.
          This is what I have told my children. Get a career in which they can emigrate. Medical seems popular. This country is doomed - unless UKIP are elected in 2020.

At the moment the can has been kicked down the road a long way - but much further to go.

One day people will figure out there is no point in saving and just borrow to go bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Long and short of it is there isn't the supply to meet the demand, absoultly no other reason for house prices, we are a small over populated country in key area's. We could build 100,000 new hows in the arse end of no where dirt cheap, but without the jobs to go with them its pointless.

Also people need to realise owning a house is not a right, Germany has the right model, very few people own their own houses and rents are kept reasonable.
            To remove pressure on London, I think Royalty and Government should vacate the capital.

Comment

I would tighten the lending criteria.

20% deposit
              3.5 x single income
              2.5 x double income
              3 x contract value

This would weaken the demand side.

I would also.

Introduce a Tax on BTL income
              Introduce a BTL stamp duty uplift
              Massively increase second home council tax
              Introduce quick compulsory purchase of empty properties.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

20% deposit
                3.5 x single income
                2.5 x double income
                3 x contract value

I would also.

The lending criteria would hit the young hardest.

However I agree with all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The lending criteria would hit the young hardest.

However I agree with all the others.
                  Until prices fall 40% - then I think they will be in a much better spot.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

20% deposit
                    3.5 x single income
                    2.5 x double income
                    3 x contract value

I would also.

The focus for lenders, and to an extent the government, since at least 2000ish has been to allow people to borrow more and more money one way or another, which keeps prices going up. If the supply of money is restricted it would stop people being able to buy (beyond their means) in the short-term, would probably bring prices down to more reasonable* levels, and then the young would be able to afford to buy again.

*By reasonable I mean a link between house prices and wages, such as the 3.5x PG mentioned.

Comment

If we made the min wage £97 per hour, everyone could afford a house.

Simples.

Comment

Working...
                      X