• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Read boss's mind?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Then he tests it in different situations unavailable to me
    Make sure they are available to you next time?

It sounds like he has small willy syndrome - quite common in CUK posters....

Comment

Boss tells me to do something one way. I do it exactly the way he says.
      That's how you told me to do it.

Thinks:
      1. shut up and keep invoicing.
      2. bring CV up to date.

Am I assessing this correctly?
      No:

3. Direction & Control
      4. IR35 caught
      5. YNCOTBAC
      6. Dob self in to HMRC
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Boss tells me to do something one way. I do it exactly the way he says. Then he tests it in different situations unavailable to me, and it has a flaw. This is a mess, he says. That's because you did it this way.
        That's how you told me to do it.
        But you also have to do this other thing, in case of..

Thinks:
        1. shut up and keep invoicing.
        2. bring CV up to date.

Am I assessing this correctly?

In bold, too much D&C. Move on.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          3. Get proper requirements documented

Haven't seen anything remotely looking like requirements or documents since it all became user stories, epics and 3 days sprints with retrospectives.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Haven't seen anything remotely looking like requirements or documents since it all became user stories, epics and 3 days sprints with retrospectives.
            Yes, for anyone who has been around long enough, it's amazing how we went from fag packets to proper standards and then back to fag packets so quickly!

Comment

I love how everyone on these threads has all the answers. The process for me normally goes (and bear in mind I'm an infrastructure consultant, not a coder):
              1. Sales and pre-sales do their thing
              2. I host workshops etc to capture the requirements to shoehorn into whatever has been sold
              3. Produce a high level design
              4. High level design goes through iterations with my client and their customer
              5. Produce detailed low level design
              6. Low level design goes through iterations with customer and their customer
              7. Build solution
              8. Internal Testing
              9. Client Testing
              10. Client Signoff
              11. Go-Live
              12. Oh, can we have this? Can we do this differently? The users don't like x? Can you add z?
              13. I keep drinking

There's normally a proof of concept in there somewhere, but to be honest I don't know why anybody bothers. The client has already made up their mind and they save all the really difficult questions until later anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I love how everyone on these threads has all the answers. The process for me normally goes (and bear in mind I'm an infrastructure consultant, not a coder):
                1. Sales and pre-sales do their thing
                2. I host workshops etc to capture the requirements to shoehorn into whatever has been sold
                3. Produce a high level design
                4. High level design goes through iterations with my client and their customer
                5. Produce detailed low level design
                6. Low level design goes through iterations with customer and their customer
                7. Build solution
                8. Internal Testing
                9. Client Testing
                10. Client Signoff
                11. Go-Live
                12. Oh, can we have this? Can we do this differently? The users don't like x? Can you add z?
                13. I keep drinking

There's normally a proof of concept in there somewhere, but to be honest I don't know why anybody bothers. The client has already made up their mind and they save all the really difficult questions until later anyway.
                Wow, the good old day right there, when clients had money and time to spend on such things.

Comment

Wow, the good old day right there, when clients had money and time to spend on such things.
                  Usually, by the time the bottom line is affected adversely, the suspect is long gone esp in the public sector.

Comment

Fortanesque pseudocode..

PHP Code:
                    BEGIN_AgileProject:

REPEAT UNTIL eveyone 'appyish   // sprint, every 2 weeks
                          Decide what doin'
                    ;

Design it;

REPEAT UNTIL working
                            Code it
                    ;

Compile'n'test it;

END REPEAT
                      END REPEAT
                    END_AgileProject

Comment

I take everybody's point about D&C but in this case I'm OK with that because I'm outside the UK (yes yes I know) and acting in an IR35-avoiding way anyway.

Actually tomtomagain got it, indirectly: do what they need, not what they say they want. But I am actually looking for an easy bum-on-seat techie contract with oodles of D&C and no thought needed, and my real complaint is that the D&C are crap!

The PM is stressed and can't stop taking it out on others. I have realised that he is a blame-meister, his whole attitude and speech is slanted towards everything being someone's fault (not his). Presumably any logical arguments to the effect that it was actually his fault will lead to a demonstration of power.

You know what? I don't want this tulip any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X