• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to employ mind readers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why should people who do not vote be assumed to not want change?
    Are you suggesting that people who don't vote do want change?

I have just made the point that says that according to your argument we should not even be in the EU.
    And I agreed. But we are in the EU.

Presumably your reason is that your twisted logic is designed to suit your own agenda.
    Pot, Kettle, etc.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      your summary assumes the organisation hasn't changed from the original prospectus, here is one that may reflect the changes we have seen.

We joined the Scout association, this quietly changed into 'Hitler Youth' and now we find we are being groomed for conscription into the Waffen SS.

This is still a valid analogy as the EU is intentionally evolving into a superstate and expansion of its powers will continue. The only thing wrong with this analogy is that the SS used to offer you a chance to choose to join the organisation and were clear what you were getting into.

Of course the boy scout organisation was a bunch of children led by adults. The EU is a bunch of adults being led by children
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        your summary assumes the organisation hasn't changed from the original prospectus
        I didn't say any such thing.

We joined the Scout association, this quietly changed into 'Hitler Youth' and now we find we are being groomed for conscription into the Waffen SS.

This is still a valid analogy as the EU is intentionally evolving into a superstate and expansion of its powers will continue. The only thing wrong with this analogy is that the SS used to offer you a chance to choose to join the organisation and were clear what you were getting into.
        I'm happy to go on record now and say I completely support a referendum to decide whether Britain should be part of an EU superstate/Hitler Youth movement. Not that it'll be necessary as there's no support for that in Britain or anywhere else in the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Are you suggesting that people who don't vote do want change?

Are you suggesting they don't want change?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Why should people who do not vote be assumed to not want change? I have just made the point that says that according to your argument we should not even be in the EU. Presumably your reason is that your twisted logic is designed to suit your own agenda.
            Indeed.

There are 3 clear ways which one can vote in an election with a binary choice.

Yes
            No
            Abstain

Unless it's explicitly stated up front that all Abstentions are to be treated as Yes or No then they have to be treated as a third state which is don't care/don't know/can't decide.

Depending how the democratic process is organised and run it can change whether the vote is valid, but in traditional UK "democratic" process it's irrelevant what percentage of the electorate makes up the abstain section, the only votes counted are the ones cast.

Comment

Holy Moley

are youse STILL banging on about this.
              Any IT guy knows of a null

value unknown

abstension = null = value unknown
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Holy Moley

are youse STILL banging on about this.
                Any IT guy knows of a null

value unknown

abstension = null = value unknown
                It's an in/out referendum, or a yes/no referendum. It's a bool(ean).

Comment

Are you suggesting they don't want change?
                  I thought that was clear. Anyone who doesn't vote for change doesn't want change. How do you jump to the conclusion that someone who doesn't vote for change does in fact want change? Unless UKIP are planning to employ mind readers of course.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I thought that was clear. Anyone who doesn't vote for change doesn't want change. How do you jump to the conclusion that someone who doesn't vote for change does in fact want change? Unless UKIP are planning to employ mind readers of course.
                    I am jumping to the silly conclusion that someone who doesn't vote doesn't care what happens.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I am jumping to the silly conclusion that someone who doesn't vote doesn't care what happens.
                      Well we can't read their minds so we don't know.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 May 2015, 11:44.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X