• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gay Cakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to seriously dent a business' right to refuse service. So essentially the bakery would have to deny service by lying. So saying something like "we've no flour" instead of "we don't like the look of you".

genius. PC gone OTT.

So if I went to a atheist shirt shop and asked to print shirts that said "Atheists suck" they have to do it?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Challenge for anyone in the smoke today: Ask for an identical cake to be made in the Bermondsey Square Hotel, Bermondsey Square, London SE1 3UN

"Strict Islamic policy is imposed at London's Bermondsey Square Hotel"
      "New Middle Eastern owner wants to run it 'in accordance with Sharia law'"
      "No pork or alcohol"

"Homosexuality in Islam .. The specific punishment varies among jurists, ranging from jail time or flogging, to the death penalty. In Islam, capital punishment is only reserved for the most grievous crimes which hurt society as a whole. Some jurists view homosexuality in that light, particularly in countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen."

Comment

We could just compromise and get along as differing people.

But that would be boring. Let's give a Labour quango tons of cache to apply absolutist laws in a petulant, overly-fastidious and legalistic manner while pandering to extreme activists like Mr Lee. Thus we can engineer a oppressive and divisive outcome which which both gays and straights will loath in equal measure, while banking loads of unpleasantness, division and strife for the future. Remember, giving short term gratification to extremists is always more important than getting along happily together.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
          Challenge for anyone in the smoke today: Ask for an identical cake to be made in the Bermondsey Square Hotel, Bermondsey Square, London SE1 3UN

"Strict Islamic policy is imposed at London's Bermondsey Square Hotel"
          "New Middle Eastern owner wants to run it 'in accordance with Sharia law'"
          "No pork or alcohol"

"Homosexuality in Islam .. The specific punishment varies among jurists, ranging from jail time or flogging, to the death penalty. In Islam, capital punishment is only reserved for the most grievous crimes which hurt society as a whole. Some jurists view homosexuality in that light, particularly in countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen."
          I think they would just refuse by saying, 'We don't make cakes, we are a hotel'.
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Seems pretty scary to me.

Source

The scary part is that "political and religious opinion" thing. If this is applied consistently, you can't refuse to take a contract if it is contrary to your religious or political views. You would be discriminating based on "political and religious opinion." So you can be forced to take on a contract to help the SNP put together a website for their next referendum.

It's easy to say, oh, they are Christians and I don't like their view, but forcing someone to serve a political campaign with which they disagree doesn't seem like a great precedent.
            I'm doing it now for free. Get your own contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              or force a Muslim to sell Alcohol.
              I don't think they were being forced to sell cakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                I'm doing it now for free. Get your own contracts.
                If you pay peanuts and get monkeys, what do you get if you pay nowt?

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  If you pay peanuts and get monkeys, what do you get if you pay nowt?
                  A professional who is willing to give time & skills as a donation to a cause. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    Anyone know what the slogan was?
                    They had a photo on the BBC but it seems to have gone. From memory it had Bert & Ernie with "Support Gay Marriage" at the top and the name of some group Queer-something-or-other in the bottom.

I kind of assume it was done deliberately knowing they were opposed to gay marriage, to get press attention.
                    Perhaps next they'll send the Je Suis Charlie Mohammed image to a Muslim-run bakery.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      A professional who is willing to give time & skills as a donation to a cause. HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X