• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Licence Changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    You and me both.

As they say in septicland apparently.
    I had to get the plastic thing when I moved house some years back, any change at all and you will have to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      I had to get the plastic thing when I moved house some years back, any change at all and you will have to do the same.
      Not really, they can change the address on it and issue a new paper one...
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I was done for speeding in France the other week. I was always told you need to carry both parts of your licence, as well as the car registration and insurance whilst abroad, though I'm sure I've forgotten on more than one trip. This trip I did remember, but all he asked for was the car registration and my card licence and wasn't interested in the rest.
        Where you actually speeding? I got pulled over in France with a few other British cars. They said to me I had been doing 110 miles an hour, once they said that I started complaining (can't remember ever doing 110). 3 of them looked at my reg again, had a discussion and waved me on, said something about a colleague calling in the wrong reg.

Looks like they use the British as a revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
          Not really, they can change the address on it and issue a new paper one...
          Good luck trying. You haven't been able to do that for years now.

It's all about being more efficient (taking your money).
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Doesn't it say you will be able to check online so actually makes it easier for the companies and easier for us not having to try and find old bits of paper? Just poor reporting?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              You and me both.

As they say in septicland apparently.
              Don't get caught speeding. Your nice paper only licence will miraculously disappear in the post and you'll have to cough up for a shiny plastic one.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Doesn't it say you will be able to check online so actually makes it easier for the companies and easier for us not having to try and find old bits of paper? Just poor reporting?
                To be able to get a validated one, you need to get a code. The code only lasts for 72 hours. So if you're hiring in the middle of a 2 week holiday (as I am), you have to either find someone with a connection that you can get the code first, or pay roaming charges, or have the car hire company ring the DVLA premium rate number (opening hours TBC) and check then.

I'm hiring three cars in the summer and will only be at home to get a code before the first one. So I'll have to either find somewhere to get it done online, or hope they don't know.

There was also a piece in the Guardian about this at the weekend mentioning that when they checked the details now, someone found that according to the new system they had no entitlements to drive any vehicle.

At least it's not like they're changing it in the run-up to the peak hiring time.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  Don't get caught speeding. Your nice paper only licence will miraculously disappear in the post and you'll have to cough up for a shiny plastic one.
                  Or go on the speed awareness course and keep the paper one

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Where you actually speeding? I got pulled over in France with a few other British cars. They said to me I had been doing 110 miles an hour, once they said that I started complaining (can't remember ever doing 110). 3 of them looked at my reg again, had a discussion and waved me on, said something about a colleague calling in the wrong reg.

Looks like they use the British as a revenue stream.
                    Errr, yes. It was about 80mph ish (120kph) on a road that was 90kph (i.e. about 60). But it was a long wide straight A-road with an overtaking lane down the middle. Pretty stupid building a road like that if you're going to prosecute people for using it. Then again, perhaps that was the idea. I'm sure they weren't unhappy to be stopping a British car.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                      Good luck trying. You haven't been able to do that for years now.

It's all about being more efficient (taking your money).
                      Done it twice already so not a problem
                      Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                      X