• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is exercise the key to cutting obesity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Quite you cannot at whilst exercising and you do not feel much like eating afterwards. I think a lot of people read CUK out of boredom

FTFY

Comment

FWIW, the primary source is, as usual, more interesting and informative than the journalist's interpretation of it: It is time to bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity: you cannot outrun a bad diet -- Malhotra et al. -- British Journal of Sports Medicine

Comment

Exercise helps but weight control is mainly done by diet.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I say exercise is key! As it controls appetite.
          It does? During and immediately after exercise I'm not hungry... if I'm feeling hungry or low blood sugar a cycle makes me feel better. But afterwards I am hungry again. When I've been active throughout the day, walking, sailing, etc, I am ravenous and eat a huge amount more than normal.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I went from 13st to 9st over 2 years. That was caused by a small bowel obstruction; not something I'd recommend. After surgery I gained 3st in 2 months. I was a bit worried I'd carry on at that rate and be 18st after 6 months but my body knew what weight it should be and I've settled around a pretty healthy 12 1/2 ish. Shows that we probably all have a natural weight and it's not just as simple as what you eat or what you do.

The only thing I've ever noticed making much of a difference to me (apart from illness) was beer.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Shows that we probably all have a natural weight and it's not just as simple as what you eat or what you do.
              Bit crap if your natural weight is 22st although it does seem some people are much more prone to weight gain.

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Norovirus led to a loss of a stone in 24 hours, which was a bit extreme all in all.
              Probably not a true loss... you purged your digestive tract and lost a lot of fluid. I think I read that even if you eat zero calories, you'd only lose a pound or two per day based on how much energy you use and how much is stored in fat.

Comment

I definitely eat too much. Not a great deal of rubbish, but I will typically finish my wife's meal if she leaves anything. And since having kids it's a nightmare!!!!

However, despite the fact that I probably weigh about 16.5 - 17 stone. I can run a marathon in around 4 hours.

I guess the point of that is that I'm overweight because I eat too much but I'm actually quite fit because I exercise pretty well.

That probably proves the point of the OP. But, contrary to all that, when I run 30 miles a week or more, the weight drops off and I'm ALWAYS starving so I eat twice as much as normal.

Explain that, then?

Comment

Obviously exercise helps as it burns calories. That energy had to come from somewhere.

Viz puts it perfectly. NSFW though, click with care...
                  Less Cake More Exercise Magazine - VIZ

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    Obviously exercise helps as it burns calories. That energy had to come from somewhere.
                    Yes, the burger you eat afterwards

Comment

Norovirus is amazing for weightloss.

It also made me appreciate that my bathroom set-up: bath, toilet and sink all in a line gave me more options

Just thought you'd like to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X