• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foodbank stats and stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Nah a month:-) would be a lot less but I reduced the term down to 5 yrs, get the bloody thing paid off and then I won't be killing myself contracting hundreds of miles from home!
    good luck with that!

Mine's a little longer than that but us poor permies.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      Fact check.

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/econo...k_number-40853

Basically the headlines are based on a press release designed to make a political point. Vote Labour!
      Why are there more food banks?

Examples of food bank users abound; the main reported causes of food bank use are ‘crises’ in a range of areas, coupled with low household income and rising costs. Labour says that this increase is due to government welfare policy, a report from the Scottish Parliament said benefit sanctions were a cause, and other critics of the policy blame the spare room subsidy (also known as the ‘bedroom tax’).

The government has previously rejected the link between benefit reforms and food bank use.

But the increase in use and number of food banks is associated with spending cuts, benefit sanctions and unemployment, based on recent analysis in the British Medical Journal, which accounts for changes in the number of food bank numbers and for how long each food bank has been open.

The report commissioned by DEFRA concluded that:

“Those looking to monitor and respond to household food insecurity in the UK… should focus on the root causes of this insecurity, rather than on numbers claiming food aid, which are unreliable indicators of problems.”

you know me as fairly right wing but I believe we are supposed to support those more needy and try to treat them fairly. Its obvious Foodbanks are doing good and the Government are doing bad in this case.

Labour can try to use them all they like, they started their expansion under Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Are there no prisons?

Are there no workhouses?

<ZG in "tough love" mode>
        Why would you put someone whose benefit has been stopped because they had a Heart attack instead of going to meet a graduate trainee who tells people there are plenty of jobs out there for 57 year old factory workers despite you being out of work for 2 years ,in prison or a workhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          If there were no minimum wage they'd find one easy.
          No they wouldn't. These are people who hate the fact they're on the dole, and wouldn't take the money if they didn't need it.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No of course I fecking wouldn't.

But have you forgotten the much touted Conservative "Victorian Values" of years gone by?

The workhouse & prison thing is exactly that.

Much of the stuff introduced by the obnoxious slaphead IDS is disgusting.
            they have got thousands of people back to work. There is a fine line between coercion and abuse.

Comment

Judging by the information in the OP, the morons in the JCP are malicious toadies.

Box tickers par excellence.
              indeed I''m all for sacking a few pour encourager les Autres.

you know it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
              X