• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iraq torture 'worse after Saddam'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mailman
    I really couldnt give a rats arse about the moral high ground. All Im interested in is winning...and if that means cheating, then so be it!

Outside of laalaa land naughty things HAVE always happened in wars...you gotta be some kind of anti-anything to do with america goon to think this is a modern day problem.

At times like this I like to apply a healthy does of "sh1t happens"

Mailman
    As I predcited before the Lebanon fiasco, the only winners will be the guys selling the guns ie Millitary Industrial Complex.

By definition a War on Terror, rather like the War on Drugs are not winnable by using solely millitary means.

You cannot use a millitary solution for a a foreign policy failure.

Comment

Moral High ground

Well I dont see how you cannot care about it becuase its core to this whole occupation. The war was sold to the general public on precisely that argument.

Basically promising "freedom and democracy" and "liberation" from the evil clutuches of Saddam. Sold to the electorate as the "right thing to do" and our moral obligation

The parties responsible for the invasion have not really done a very good job of selling democracy to the very people they promised it to?

A lot of people probaly think that if this is "democracy" they would rather have dictatorship.

In effect we have won nothing except responsibility for an unwinnable war in a region our own leaders have demonstrated by their actions that they know very little about. Arguably we have also won ourselves a period of greater geopolitical instability owing to our leaders action.

If you think we have "won" this war you are very much mistaken and when "sh1t happens" and you get maimed by a suicide bomber maybe you will revise your attitude.

You can almost relate it to the spread of communism, the Reds promised the earth and delivered eff all. And we all know what happened there.
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
        Well I dont see how you cannot care about it becuase its core to this whole occupation. The war was sold to the general public on precisely that argument.

Basically promising "freedom and democracy" and "liberation" from the evil clutuches of Saddam. Sold to the electorate as the "right thing to do" and our moral obligation

The parties responsible for the invasion have not really done a very good job of selling democracy to the very people they promised it to?

A lot of people probaly think that if this is "democracy" they would rather have dictatorship.

In effect we have won nothing except responsibility for an unwinnable war in a region our own leaders have demonstrated by their actions that they know very little about. Arguably we have also won ourselves a period of greater geopolitical instability owing to our leaders action.

If you think we have "won" this war you are very much mistaken and when "sh1t happens" and you get maimed by a suicide bomber maybe you will revise your attitude.

You can almost relate it to the spread of communism, the Reds promised the earth and delivered eff all. And we all know what happened there.
        Good points, however the basis for the War was that Iraq was in possession of WMDs and Blair stated we were 45 minutes from oblivion and there was no time for the UN Weapon Inspectors to complete the work ... so a bloody War of Shock and Awe killing thousands of people was launched.

The feifdom and demockracy, sorry freedom and democracy bit only emerged later as a kind of feeble post sales strategy.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 22 September 2006, 13:44.

Comment

If high moral ground doesn't matter maybe then we should just be more honest about reasons for war and stop pretending there is one. It does not alter the fact that any occupation is not helped by antagonising the general populace more than victory demands as even the Romans had the sense to realise, especially when all that is required is proper supervision of young recruits.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Iraq war, as opposed to the Afghanistan war, is and was a moral pragmatic, tactical and strategic failure. I still don't understand the decision behind it. The situaution is getting worse by the day but the press and public have "Iraq fatigue' and can't be bothered anymore ...
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              The Iraq war, as opposed to the Afghanistan war, is and was a moral pragmatic, tactical and strategic failure. I still don't understand the decision behind it.
              It was Blair's sprint for glory.

Comment

Working...
              X