• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Farage Immigrants with HIV Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What of British nationals with chronic conditions wishing to emigrate?
    Ok if they emigrate to countries where the exchange is more or less reciprocal in terms of impact and cost. When it comes to Africa and third world countries generally it isn't. How many UK people go to sub-Saharan Africa and get free health care for existing problems? Not a lot I'd guess.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You had me up until

[QUOTE=xoggoth;2077996]We are stuck with our own gays[QUOTE]

Just wow. If that is the point, I'm only too pleased to miss it.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

You can't just come over to the UK and get free treatment.

There seems to be a myth. You get a bill unless you have a National Insurance number or some proof of residency.

No different to any other country, i.e. if you're bleeding in the street an ambulance will pick you up and treat you, and then send a bill or not as the case maybe.

It's basically a non-issue.

The only way you can stop foreigners using the NHS is to ban all foreigners, which of course includes all the masses of tourists some of whom fall ill.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Maybe Mr. Farage doesn't realise that ART (antiretroviral therapy) and other HIV treatments are provided for free in nearly all EU/EFTA countries. Maybe Mr. Farage should vent his spleen instead on the drug companies who produce the medicines required and price them so high when they could price them much cheaper and so save the NHS a lot of money. Sadly this doesn't fit in with his anti-immigration stance but does fit in with his establishment values in that you don't piss off big business
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There is a list of about 84 countries where you have to have a test and prove you don't have active TB before you can get entry into the UK. (It's on the gov website.)

A good number of TB cases in the UK are in the South Asian community who are born or long term residents here as apparently being of those ethnicities makes you more susceptible.

The other cases are in people who live in very poor conditions this traditionally was just the homeless. However there has been an increase in those who live in poor housing conditions.

Point is non-EU immigrants are not the source of TB problems in this country - it's poor living conditions.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 7 April 2015, 20:04.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Euler View Post
              Yes and heavy drinkers too.
              Why these groups of people should expect to be treated for free is something I don't understand.
              I suppose it depends on whether you think that addiction is an illness with physiological changes in the brain, or a human failing that can be overcome with a little willpower.

Comment

Point is non-EU immigrants are not the source of TB problems in this country - it's poor living conditions
                That is one factor but there is no doubt about the link to immigration. Incidence is highest among recent arrivals to the UK. It isn't just non EU countries, the rate is a lot higher in Eastern European nations too.

Health of Migrants in the UK: What Do We Know? | The Migration Observatory
                [Tuberculosis in Poland and the world at the beginning of the third millennium]. - PubMed - NCBI

The mechanisms are not fully understood but blacks are more susceptible to TB than whites.

http://www.atmph.org/article.asp?iss...2;aulast=Fares
                Last edited by xoggoth; 7 April 2015, 21:12.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I suppose it depends on whether you think that addiction is an illness with physiological changes in the brain, or a human failing that can be overcome with a little willpower.
                  As an ex smoker I think addiction is an illness with physiological changes in the brain due to human failings that can be overcome with a tulip load of willpower.
                  Are you a loser?
                  Didn't do too well at school?
                  Can't make it in the most dynamic economy in Europe?
                  No good with women?

Then VOTE UKIP! We'll make you whole again

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    That is one factor but there is no doubt about the link to immigration. Incidence is highest among recent arrivals to the UK. It isn't just non EU countries, the rate is a lot higher in Eastern European nations too.

Blah blah
                    You are so intent on blaming migrants for everything you can't even bothered to read an easy to understand government website.

You also seem unable to distinguish between migrants and British people.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Right on cue, today's Express:

Migrants who plunder Britain's free healthcare cost the NHS up to £300million a year

But £300 million is a drop in the ocean, right? And it's only "up to".....
                      Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 8 April 2015, 06:51.

Comment

Working...
                      X