• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Vehicle Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Is it your mum?
    Believe it, or not, it isn't.

But many thanks for your input.

Comment

I had a company car in my last permie role. My wife wasn't named on the policy, but partners were covered, so she could drive it any time. If I'd have ditched her and got a new partner, then the new one could have driven it, too, without me having to tell the insurance.

It's not like Sky Go where you have to register your devices and are limited to one change per month.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamplemoose View Post
        TF - in my previous incarnation, we used to get along. Maybe I should have worded it better: "I want to put a complete stranger on the insurance for a vehicle owned by MyCo - if they ever drive it, which would be unlikely, it would clearly not be for business reasons. What are the implications and associated pitfalls of doing so?"
        IMO you need to start ringing around. There are a lot of complexities around this...

1. Most companies won't insure a car if you are not the registered keeper. If it's in the company name you are gonna have to get some kind of business insurance which could cost more than all the savings you are after.

2. Adding your partner is likely to bring your value down more than the BiK so just pay it and still be better off... Possibly.....

3. Certain policies, particular business ones may allow any driver allowed by the main driver so technically your wife and the stranger are insured.

And other stuff..

I think you need to start ringing insurer and getting costs and details before trying to second guess it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          IMO you need to start ringing around. There are a lot of complexities around this...

1. Most companies won't insure a car if you are not the registered keeper. If it's in the company name you are gonna have to get some kind of business insurance which could cost more than all the savings you are after.

2. Adding your partner is likely to bring your value down more than the BiK so just pay it and still be better off... Possibly.....

3. Certain policies, particular business ones may allow any driver allowed by the main driver so technically your wife and the stranger are insured.

And other stuff..

I think you need to start ringing insurer and getting costs and details before trying to second guess it.
          Insurer's only deal with their own rules (and that's if they know them). He needs an insurance broker to go through the options.... Someone like Company Car Insurance (which was merely the top advert on a google search).

The killer bit with moving from personal to company cars is losing no claim bonuses. I rather like the 10 years we have on all our vehicles...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Insurer's only deal with their own rules (and that's if they know them). He needs an insurance broker to go through the options.... Someone like Company Car Insurance (which was merely the top advert on a google search).

The killer bit with moving from personal to company cars is losing no claim bonuses. I rather like the 10 years we have on all our vehicles...
            Another good point. I think they do stay valid for two years or something don't they though?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X