• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adolph V2'ed German cities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They had some massive train mounted cannon that was used against Sevastopol and they had to change the barrel after 200 shots I think. I don't think they ever changed the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      They had some massive train mounted cannon that was used against Sevastopol and they had to change the barrel after 200 shots I think. I don't think they ever changed the barrel.
      This one though was fixed in the rock and pointed at London. Allies bombed it before it was ever fired I think.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        This one though was fixed in the rock and pointed at London. Allies bombed it before it was ever fired I think.
        This was the V3 site. Much less sophisticated technology.

Gustav was the train cannon, also used against Leningrad IIRC.
        Last edited by barrydidit; 13 March 2015, 12:50. Reason: added linky

Comment

They might have only had a 200 mile range, but a top speed of 3500 mph, so they covered that ground quite quickly.

Also, they couldn't have been all that bad as they were in service until 1952.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The V3 was the inspiration for one of Sadam's madder ideas, creating a staged gun to lob shells at Israel.

Project Babylon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gerald Bull had his head blown off by Mossad in an attempt to discourage him.

Gerald Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For dear old Freako: the above relates to a gun for Saddam Hussein. The Israelies didn't like the idea too much & put a stop to it.

Comment

For suity - ww2 is over now.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                The V3 was the inspiration for one of Sadam's madder ideas, creating a staged gun to lob shells at Israel.

Project Babylon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gerald Bull had his head blown off by Mossad in an attempt to discourage him.

Gerald Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For dear old Freako: the above relates to a gun for Saddam Hussein. The Israelies didn't like the idea too much & put a stop to it.
                We were manufacturing it as well...

BBC ON THIS DAY | 11 | 1990: Customs seize 'supergun'

Composite pipes. Dear lord, I can tell you so much I want to forget about composite pipes.

Comment

"we thought it was for the oil industry, we know nothing about some, what did you call it? 'super gun'?"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    We were manufacturing it as well...

BBC ON THIS DAY | 11 | 1990: Customs seize 'supergun'

Composite pipes. Dear lord, I can tell you so much I want to forget about composite pipes.
                    Yes. There was a lot of fuss about that at the time.

Arms-to-Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scott Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For dear old Freako, this relates to the perfidy of government, particularly in attempting to prosecute people for stuff which parts of government had approved.

Odd really.

Well, not really.

Much what one might expect, all in all.

Scott identified three main areas of democratic concern. First, the Import, Export and Customs Powers (Defence) Act 1939 was emergency legislation passed at the outbreak of the Second World War.

It allowed the government to issue regulations which were not subject to resolutions in Parliament, for the duration of the emergency, which would make it a criminal offence to export particular goods to particular countries.

While the Act should have been lapsed in 1945, it remained in force, and had been modified in 1990 so as to become part of the Import and Export Control Act 1990. [1]

The second area was the failure of ministerial accountability; the principle that "for every action of a servant of the crown a minister is answerable to Parliament".

The third area was that of Public interest immunity certificates, which had been issued during the Matrix Churchill trial.

As a result of these certificates, innocent men were in danger of being sent to prison, because the government would not allow the defence counsel to see the documents that would exonerate their clients.

While some of these contained potentially sensitive intelligence material, many were simply internal communications: the certificates were intended to protect the Ministers and civil servants who had written the communications, rather than the public interest.
                    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      For suity - ww2 is over now.

HTH
                      I know dat!

FFs what kind of cretin do you take me for?
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X