• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what were his books about?, I always had him as a poor mans Tolkien who just kept pumping out books.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      So what were his books about?, I always had him as a poor mans Tolkien who just kept pumping out books.
      The Diverse and Humourous Adventures of the inhabitants of a world shaped like a dinner plate, where magic is real (and has a colour) balanced on the back of four elephants and all carried through space by a giant turtle of indeterminate gender.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Real shame, 70 books is good going. Can't believe I read my first one at college, introduced to him by a friend. I think the bit that hooked me was about natural selection and the tortoise.

Two of my favorite others gone, Banks and Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The Diverse and Humourous Adventures of the inhabitants of a world shaped like a dinner plate, where magic is real (and has a colour) balanced on the back of four elephants and all carried through space by a giant turtle of indeterminate gender.
          ummm right.

Comment

varied but his main series was 'disk world' a quasi middle ages world 'dragging itself forward into the century of the Fruitbat' in a humorous manner.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              varied but his main series was 'disk world' a quasi middle ages world 'dragging itself forward into the century of the Fruitbat' in a humorous manner.
              mmmkay

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Nope. Just the first two pages.
                I remember somebody having The Colour of Magic at school and the first few pages was all it took to get everyone wanting to read it.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

half satirical, half allegorical and half weird humour

based in a fantasy land where up was down half the time. i.e. people wanted to know the speed of dark
                  if light can have a speed, why not dark
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    half satirical, half allegorical and half weird humour

based in a fantasy land where up was down half the time. i.e. people wanted to know the speed of dark
                    if light can have a speed, why not dark
                    I was right then, sounds awful and not funny.

Comment

ummm right.
                      search for The Colour of Magic on Amazon. They let you read the first few pages online for free. Have a read. If you dont like it, you dont like it.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X