• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 year old told by Police its illegal to ride bike on pavement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Personally, Id have told the child to get on the bike in front of the copper and made him confiscate the bike then gone to town on him and the force.
    +1. The police would not have confiscated - they are not allowed.

First rule of childcare. Never threaten anything you won't go ahead with. Seems this applies to police as well as parents.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Assuming it is illegal then she is a crim. At what age does it stop become acceptable to break the law? 5? 6? 10? 16? 18? 21? 35?
      The age of criminal responsibility is 10.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Assuming it is illegal then she is a crim. At what age does it stop become acceptable to break the law? 5? 6? 10? 16? 18? 21? 35?
        Its not illegal as she is under 10.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Seriously, have the pigs got nothing better to do say, like catch a few scrotes or crims?
          This is a pretty stupid argument. Unless there was a robbery in progress across the road which they ignored in order to castigate a child, a copper who notices someone doing something wrong should intervene. Although it seems a bit daft here.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So child tries to do some cycling to make sure she does not add to the obese figures

Is there an attempt to make everyone in the country fat?
          Legging it down the street with a PS4 you robbed is also good exercise.
          I very much doubt a 4 year old was trying to "make sure she does not add to the obese figures". He/she was just riding their bike.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            It may be illegal but she is under 10 so they can't prosecute.
            FTFY

of course they don't have the balls to do something about lycra louts speeding down the footpath or the blackout bikers who think its sensible to be invisible at night on a bike. Lets put the frighteners on a 4 year old.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
              The age of criminal responsibility is 10.
              Doesn't mean that anything goes; just means that the parents are responsible. If a 9 year old is about to set fire to a building, should the police step in and stop him?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                FTFY

of course they don't have the balls to do something about lycra louts speeding down the footpath or the blackout bikers who think its sensible to be invisible at night on a bike. Lets put the frighteners on a 4 year old.
                You seem to imagine a 4yo surrounded by speeding maniacs, and plod picked on the kid. No doubt if someone had sped along the pavement while they were there, they would have collared them too. Unless it was night-time when the kid was on their bike, I can't see the other thing being relevant.

A copper sees someone doing something wrong, and tells them off. That's what they're supposed to do... by doing so they are not neglecting serious crime.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You seem to imagine a 4yo surrounded by speeding maniacs, and plod picked on the kid. No doubt if someone had sped along the pavement while they were there, they would have collared them too. Unless it was night-time when the kid was on their bike, I can't see the other thing being relevant.

A copper sees someone doing something wrong, and tells them off. That's what they're supposed to do... by doing so they are not neglecting serious crime.
                  you have far more faith in Plod than I do.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I think it's debatable whether a 4yo on a bike with stabilisers on the pavement with her mum is "cycling". It's a bit like saying a kid on a sit and ride is "driving". It's a toy bike while she gets the skills she needs to be able to ride a real bike.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      I think it's debatable whether a 4yo on a bike with stabilisers on the pavement with her mum is "cycling". It's a bit like saying a kid on a sit and ride is "driving". It's a toy bike while she gets the skills she needs to be able to ride a real bike.
                      Well in this case, yes. Who knows, maybe it's a very busy path and they get lots of slightly older kids cycling which led to complaints... which makes it difficult to draw the line.

More likely just a silly plod though

Comment

Working...
                      X