• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35, what if....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    that doesn't sound right to me?

IR35 is about clawing back personal tax you have avoided/evaded. If it hasn't been paid out, you haven't avoided/evaded it yet.
    I believe even if you THOUGHT about it that would be grounds enough for them to start an investigation
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ljc View Post
      My house and personal finances would be ok though?
      Nope. You'll lose them.

No ones going to prison because they can't pay or anything. Am I right in assuming this ?
      Correct.

Comment

If you are found out to have deliberately "dodged" IR35 you can be fined up to 100% of the tax owed.

Thank you everyone. I will get contract reviews and insurance to be on the safe side. I wish they'd just scrap this regulation and be done with it. Sleepless nights just trying to make an honest living.
        If you don't want the hassle then get insurance and your contracts reviewed.

Alternatively, use a brolly.

The fact that you're worried about IR35 means you've taken a major step forward in dealing with it so it becomes a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          IR35 is personal taxation, so you are liable.
          It isn't. It's a company liability that involves "looking through" the intermediary to establish whether the arrangement, were it not for the intermediary, would be akin to one of employment. However. it's the responsibility of the intermediary to remunerate in accordance with the law. Of course, company liabilities may be transferred to personal liabilities on the director(s) if they acted without due care or attention (this is not unique to IR35). Having appropriate contract reviews and insuring against the risks associated with IR35 would be examples of due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Does it come down to this? Whether HMRC believes that you wilfully misled them?

Scenario 1: Contractor had all their contracts reviewed, made every effort to distinguish themselves from the permies but the client turned up in court and said that in their minds they were just part of a resource pool. Ruling went against them. Would the OP likely face tax bill plus interest but no penalties since they had acted in good faith based on professional advice?

Scenario2: Contractor stuck head in sand, no contract reviews or even worse failed but decided to blag it. Ruling goes against them. OP faces tax owed plus interest plus penalty.

Scenario 1 -> HMRC takes company reserves only
            Scenario 2 -> HMRC pursues them personally for the cash
            I'm not sure they would make that distinction between company and personal depending on if the contractor had had reviews done.

As in my case, they ignored the reviews and CoA documents anyway and produced 'evidence' from some HR bod agreeing I was inside. Of course, I was liable for a big chunk of money but it was stated in the letter that I couldn't go back and get holiday pay, etc from the client that would have been due if I had been an employee. The client had obviously wanted that confirmed before dropping me in it.

I got 4 payslips for various amounts, I know 3 were Tax, NI, & Interest. I'll check tonight to see if the other was for penalties.
            Last edited by Batcher; 4 March 2015, 15:26.

Comment

Just so's you knows, this sockie and this thread are absolutely nothing to do with me
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Just so's you knows, this sockie and this thread are absolutely nothing to do with me
                You might want to go and cheer your mate colonelyeehaw up. He's over in the prof forums complaining about client treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  that doesn't sound right to me?

IR35 is about clawing back personal tax you have avoided/evaded. If it hasn't been paid out, you haven't avoided/evaded it yet.
                  The money has been paid out: to YourCo. That's the point - IR35 takes the money YourCo earns and assumes you've earned it as if you were working without the intermediary. Doesn't matter how you shuffle money around between your bank accounts.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    You might want to go and cheer your mate colonelyeehaw up. He's over in the prof forums complaining about client treatment.
                    Uh oh. <trollmode-on>

Edit : Dammit, professional forums
                    Last edited by suityou01; 4 March 2015, 15:44.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      The money has been paid out: to YourCo. That's the point - IR35 takes the money YourCo earns and assumes you've earned it as if you were working without the intermediary. Doesn't matter how you shuffle money around between your bank accounts.
                      I guess my point is why would they start an IR35 investigation to try and find out if you had underpaid your personal tax (by doing small salary, divvies and so forth) if you haven't actually paid out to yourself personally yet.

It's a ridiculous edge case scenario I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X