• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SNP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    In a hung parliament, it's possible that the Tories may take first shot at forming a Queen's Speech on the basis of a minority gov't w/ confidence and supply, but I highly doubt they'll have the numbers to get it through, based on current polling. The left-leaning parties may not want a coalition w/ Labour, but they are highly unlikely to vote through a Queen's Speech that would lead to a Tory PM, whereas the Lib Dems are basically "for sale", but probably won't have the numbers. I can't really see an outcome that isn't a complete bloody mess, especially given the fixed-term parliament act. If this is the new normal, I suppose it will eventually force through some sort of PR.
    I think Cameron (and possibly Clegg) may come to regret campaigning for the "No" campaign.

Comment

In a hung parliament, it's possible that the Tories may take first shot at forming a Queen's Speech on the basis of a minority gov't w/ confidence and supply, but I highly doubt they'll have the numbers to get it through, based on current polling. The left-leaning parties may not want a coalition w/ Labour, but they are highly unlikely to vote through a Queen's Speech that would lead to a Tory PM, whereas the Lib Dems are basically "for sale", but probably won't have the numbers. I can't really see an outcome that isn't a complete bloody mess, especially given the fixed-term parliament act. If this is the new normal, I suppose it will eventually force through some sort of PR.
      That's why this election is so intriguing.

Under normal circumstances, the tories would be heading for a landslide against a leader as inept as Milliband, but the fact that they are not clearly indicates that middle England isn't impressed with Cameron and Co. Equally an unpopular coalition should be cannon fodder for a media driven Labour party, but the dickiness of their leader is preventing that from happening.

Going to be entertaining to say the least, but I think the fact that neither party really has any policy to change the country (or they don't want to say it out loud for fear of a negative headline reaction) will ruin the debate. No one has anything innovative to do or say any more in UK politics.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

We'll see how enthusiastic about the FPP system the big parties are, following the outcome of this election.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Under normal circumstances, the tories would be heading for a landslide against a leader as inept as Milliband, but the fact that they are not clearly indicates that middle England isn't impressed with Cameron and Co.
          Keeping the public on-side with all the austerity talk isn't easy. It's not like they're saying 2 after 5 years we've fixed it, now look at all the fun stuff we're going to do"!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            I think Cameron (and possibly Clegg) may come to regret campaigning for the "No" campaign.
            It's Milliband who's left to regret that. The tories will have 0-3 MPs in Scotland. Labour have far more to lose.

We've already had the Scottish Branch Labour Leader (who was the voice of 'No' during the referendum) claim he's not a Unionist (he's about as mixed up as Minestrone) and claim he never shared a platform with the Tories, despite the photographs

Comment

Regarding Cameron, I think his driving concern was not to be the PM under whom the Union dissolved, more than anything, as both the Tories and Ukip would lose very little from Scotland leaving. I think a divorce would've benefitted both parties longer term..

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Would SNP rather a Tory government?
                Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                A Tory PM wouldn't be such a bad outcome for the SNP, as it would likely hasten their Ultimate Goal, versus influencing UK gov't policy in a SNPLab coalition at the risk of bleeding core support north of the border.

Clegg may also come to regret not allowing the electoral boundary changes (and the Tories for not allowing the HoL reform that prompted it).

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  It certainly is. I'm fairly into politics and I've never been in a situation where I don't want any of them (even in a holding-my-nose, best of the worst sort of way), but that's how I feel this time around, and I have no idea how I'm going to vote.

Comment

It certainly is. I'm fairly into politics and I've never been in a situation where I don't want any of them (even in a holding-my-nose, best of the worst sort of way), but that's how I feel this time around, and I have no idea how I'm going to vote.
                    Can sympathise with that view

Comment

A Tory PM wouldn't be such a bad outcome for the SNP, as it would likely hasten their Ultimate Goal, versus influencing UK gov't policy in a SNPLab coalition at the risk of bleeding core support north of the border.

Clegg may also come to regret not allowing the electoral boundary changes (and the Tories for not allowing the HoL reform that prompted it).
                      That's possible. They seem to have adopted a Trojan Horse strategy. On the other hand, I think it boils down to how much their sympathisers hate Labour over the Tories, as fundamentally, they're not very distinguishable. The Tories have a core that is genuinely pro-market and libertarian-ish, but the larger party is just a mishmash of centrist policies that is horribly boring and stuck in its ways, and reliant on tribal affiliation for its continued survival. I was going to say memetic propagation, but it's hardly that at all; rather, it seems to resolve to incredibly short-sighted policies geared to winning the next election, with no longer term vision about which to speak.

I'd like to think if they had another 5 years, they'd do something worthwhile with them, but it's just wishful thinking, unless Ukip continues to threaten to take away their support. Who knows, if Britain does get a referendum and chooses to exit (all of which I regard unlikely, as no end of scaremongering will be pulled out to prevent that), Ukip may just vanish anyway. These 5 year cycles ultimately come down to 3 year cycles, as even 2 years before the next one, they're gearing up for the next electoral campaign.

Going back to the topic at hand, it's not too different to Syriza, regarding the SNP. They may have to get their hands dirty by forming a government with the Tories, but to what extent would that foment disillusionment in their supporters? So it's ultimately a question of to what degree do their supporters see this larger goal, and how much more do they loathe Labour relative to the Tories. It's a gambit. I'd like to see them work with the Tories and maybe even Ukip, as their goals might all align quite well.

As you say, it is rather exciting compared to past elections, and most of the time I just view voting in them as an exercise in futility.
                      Last edited by Zero Liability; 2 March 2015, 23:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X