• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Actress Emma Thompson and her husband refuse to pay 'a penny more' in taxes until HSB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It is this ideology that is driving the Tory party through Ian Duncan Smith and previously Michael Gove.
    I know it drove Grove and he got resistance from the teaching unions, but IDS's is a complete mess. The ministers under him and the staff involved seem more concerned with process than outcome.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I know it drove Grove and he got resistance from the teaching unions, but IDS's is a complete mess. The ministers under him and the staff involved seem more concerned with process than outcome.
      I dont know to be sure how it is going but at least they are trying to reform welfare whereas labour want more of us to be dependent upon it
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

universal credit makes a lot of sense, it has the potential to save a lot of money and save people a lot of pain now if they can just get it to work.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          It is not at all self-evident that there is a real moral obligation to pay even those taxes that one is "due to pay" under the law. That presumes that the law is just, and that requires justification.
          Great point. Plus, to add to this, if they are to try and make taxes commensurate with anything at all, it should be spending, and in that regard, keeping it limited and value for money, to the admittedly minimal extent that they can even accomplish that

There are, however, solid prudential reasons for doing so, but that's a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
            They need to simplify the tax system enormously. How about the only tax is 10% on bank accounts annually, no matter where they are located. This would promote spending to reduce peoples balances. 10% is low enough for everyone not to avoid it.
            Nice idea on the face of it. But wouldn't you just have people run down their bank balances by purchasing gold or property to avoid it.
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              It is not at all self-evident that there is a real moral obligation to pay even those taxes that one is "due to pay" under the law. That presumes that the law is just, and that requires justification.
              Seems a slippery slope when everyone can choose differently what is moral and just. Suddenly Labour voters claim a Tory government is immoral for not supporting the poor and so won't pay any tax. Then Labour get in and raise taxes, Tory voters claim it's immoral to punish the successful to pay for those who don't want to work, so they won't pay the increased tax.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Seems a slippery slope when everyone can choose differently what is moral and just. Suddenly Labour voters claim a Tory government is immoral for not supporting the poor and so won't pay any tax. Then Labour get in and raise taxes, Tory voters claim it's immoral to punish the successful to pay for those who don't want to work, so they won't pay the increased tax.
                It should not be about morality. The left lost the moral argument over taxation years ago by squandering it and failing to deliver on public services. Furthermore the purveyors of the system (Labour MPS and councillors, heads of public services) have been proved to be equally self interest driven - I would argue more so, as any Tory. They are left with climate change and demonising the rich as a means to justifying the raising of taxes.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  It should not be about morality.
                  Which is basically what I said.

Although where the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are different, it gets more difficult. As in sport, some things "just aren't cricket" and surely even you would say basic human decency should play some part?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Sorry I thought that this discussion included HMRC, that statement isn't compatible.

Unless this turns into several million people in an organised tax revolt, which is not only absurdly unlikely, but about impossible to orchestrate as most pay tax PAYE then it's just bluster from a minor celeb.

I'll be genuinely surprised if it winds up with a prosecution for non payment.
                    I can imagine her accountant yelling down the phone at her as soon as the headlines hit with "You said what?????"
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Which is basically what I said.

Although where the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are different, it gets more difficult. As in sport, some things "just aren't cricket" and surely even you would say basic human decency should play some part?
                      That is why we need lawyers in the case of taxation it should always be about the letter of the law. The "human decency" element should primarily about how the tax is used. When it gets to be used properly THEN can the moral argument be made for the raising of taxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X