• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Florida toddler fatally shoots himself with father's gun while parents load car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hmm..... I'm not a lawyer but I this doesn't seem to add up really....

I know it's easy to say sitting behind a computer but if people aren't prosecuted for following the law when someone is killed breaking it how can it be a deterrent to avoid this again in the future.. if that makes sense?
    Well, much as I hate the whole gun culture, it is a fact of life in the good ol' US of A, so I can't see what good prosecuting the parents would do.
    If the risk of losing your child isn't a deterrent, I can't see how a fine is going to work. Just as I wouldn't want to see parents prosecuted if their kid drank bleach, or swallowed their painkillers.

Wonder what happened to that girl/woman who shot her brother at New Year when they were posing with guns though? Might dig that one out...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Well, much as I hate the whole gun culture, it is a fact of life in the good ol' US of A, so I can't see what good prosecuting the parents would do.
      If the risk of losing your child isn't a deterrent, I can't see how a fine is going to work. Just as I wouldn't want to see parents prosecuted if their kid drank bleach, or swallowed their painkillers.

Wonder what happened to that girl/woman who shot her brother at New Year when they were posing with guns though? Might dig that one out...
      There is that I guess but if the parents had taken the law more seriously and acted responsibly and in accordance with the law this wouldn't have happened. I can see the argument for holding the parents responsible.

I'm on the fence about parents been prosecuted for acting irresponsibly though. On one hand the end result is the worst punishment possible but acting negligently and allowing the child to be harmed surely is a heinous crime. Sometimes the law just has to be seen to be done though? Could you not argue that because they are grieving due to their own failure to follow the law shouldn't be a reason to not apply it? They are there to protect from the end result are they not. Can't just forget the law when the worst happens? I could change my mind daily on this one though.

Pedant point on the bleach thing though, there aren't strict laws around owning bleach that should be adhered to so slightly different.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

me n the whole family are off to Florida this Easter....

should I worry about guns?

(serious question!)

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          me n the whole family are off to Florida this Easter....

should I worry about guns?

(serious question!)
          No, don't worry, you can buy them there.

HTH
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
            No, don't worry, you can buy them there.

HTH
            Ba dum tshh

Don't give up your day job!

Comment

It's also entirely possible a 2yr had seen the gun in use and copied... if a 2yr can remember how to open iPlayer and find their favourite show on an iPad...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

BBC News - US boy, three, shoots both parents in New Mexico

Another tot gets hold of a loaded gun. Fortunately the parents have lived to learn the lesson (and possibly face charges)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  BBC News - US boy, three, shoots both parents in New Mexico

Another tot gets hold of a loaded gun. Fortunately the parents have lived to learn the lesson (and possibly face charges)
                  The dad was shot in the bum apparently, and he's been sh!tting himself ever since
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X