• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Florida toddler fatally shoots himself with father's gun while parents load car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obviously wasn't 'secured in the glove box'.

and people complain about our gun safety rules, lock it up, make sure the ammunition is separate etc..

poor sod
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
      Never thought I would hear from the guy again but within 6 months he was back in the office and I was having my daily calls with him, before he returned work I was made to talk to a psychologist to coach me of how to talk to him, what not to say, what to say and how to respond if he mentions it.
      Common sense stuff I'd hope. But surely it's only a matter of time before someone says 'The traffic was murder this morning.' - It's not something you can avoid, IMO. I'm reminded once too often about me father crocking it in the NHS bed due to administration of the incorrect treatment. So every time I read a similar story on the beeb I'm reminded yet again again and again.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        An automatic is different, if you have it for self-defence and think you may need it in a hurry you wouldn't have the chamber empty, if you did you would need to cock the gun, pull the slide back and release it, before you could fire it.
        I can understand the weapon having already been made ready if you're worried about being car-jacked or something, and don't want the additional 1 second it takes. But chambered rounds & 2 year olds don't mix well.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          lock it up, make sure the ammunition is separate etc..
          That's because they're only for sport in the country. It would make defence usage infeasible. Makes sense I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            I can understand the weapon having already been made ready if you're worried about being car-jacked or something, and don't want the additional 1 second it takes. But chambered rounds & 2 year olds don't mix well.
            Agreed, hence my last statement. This poor child's death is the responsibility of his parents.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              the comment was that it was secured in the Glove compartment. If it had been on the Father or mothers hip in a holster the incident would be less likely to happen.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                I had a boss in the US a few years back, who accidently left his 3month old baby in the back of his car in the child seat and then got the train in, it was only when his wife went to pick up the kid from Kinder garden 8hrs later they realised what happened, very sadly the baby didnt survive, he was looking at man slaughter charges but let off in the end.

Never thought I would hear from the guy again but within 6 months he was back in the office and I was having my daily calls with him, before he returned work I was made to talk to a psychologist to coach me of how to talk to him, what not to say, what to say and how to respond if he mentions it.
                Nicks Monday links had an article relating to this type of event a few months back and it was the most gruesome and horrifying thing I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  the comment was that it was secured in the Glove compartment. If it had been on the Father or mothers hip in a holster the incident would be less likely to happen.
                  I wasa thinking the same, but I wonder how hard it is to pull out a gun from the hip when you're sat in a car seat.

Comment

Florida law requires gun owners to secure their loaded firearm in the presence of children younger than 16 years old.
                    crawled across the seat and found the gun that was stored in the glove compartment
                    The detectives “do believe the gun was stored properly,”
                    Hmm..... I'm not a lawyer but I this doesn't seem to add up really....

I know it's easy to say sitting behind a computer but if people aren't prosecuted for following the law when someone is killed breaking it how can it be a deterrent to avoid this again in the future.. if that makes sense?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Hmm..... I'm not a lawyer but I this doesn't seem to add up really....

I know it's easy to say sitting behind a computer but if people aren't prosecuted for following the law when someone is killed breaking it how can it be a deterrent to avoid this again in the future.. if that makes sense?
                      Nope it doesn't, well not to me anyway.
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X