• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone cross-country ski?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It can be quite strenuous. You'd probably be better off with snow-shoes.
    See above - tried that. When I see people crossing flat ground - like a frozen lake - it looks so effortless. Put your feet in the tracks and push with your arms every now and then... my kind of exercise
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well we enjoyed a lovely week in Lapland, thanks.

Liked snow-shoeing a bit better this time. It's great being able to walk anywhere but they really don't work like on TV with the snow up there; you still sink thigh deep or more at times and if you fall it's a right PITA

Did a beginners' XC skiing lesson around the frozen lake. Glad we did - watching everyone else effortlessly gliding along I was totally unprepared for how unstable I felt just standing on the damn things!

After a couple of hours I can move around OK and go down small inclines (how steep a tiny hill seems when you're on skis!) but I cannot go uphill for toffee. Barring the total leper "walk up sideways" technique, on even very minor gradients I just end up sliding backwards until I fall on my arse!

Learning to ski in a location where the residents learn as toddlers and it's a mandatory part of school, sure makes you feel embarrassed to learn
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
      X