• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'd consider myself a leftie. Every word that falls out of the PM's mouth offends me. His use of policy to defend the interests of society's elitist really offends me.
    You cannot explain logically why so your "leftie position" represents your bigotry which centres around your own inadequacies and guilt. Because it offends you to be challenged your "position" manifests itself as a belief. Which is exactly how religious leaders behave. They believe their "beliefs" are above the bounds of satire and ridicule which is exactly why you and all religions should challenged.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Freedom of speech does have its limits. For example, you should not be free to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre (unless there is a fire, or you're executing the audience). Other limits might include inciting racial hatred, harassment, libel/slander against individuals or legal persons such as corporations, etc.

Ignoring Hitler's speeches worked well, didn't it.
      There's freedom of speech and common sense. I don't think it's much to ask to apply both at the same time.

People do not have to read the cartoons, they can simple look the other way. Ignore it. Why is that so difficult? Ignore it often enough and it'll die out of unpopularity. It's seems those minorities that have difficulty with Western society should probably not move here in the first place.

I don't think for a minute I'd be tolerated preaching Christian beliefs and Western living customs in Saudi and still be alive at the end of the week to talk about? The religious police would have me.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        You cannot explain logically why so your "leftie position" represents your bigotry which centres around your own inadequacies and guilt. Because it offends you to be challenged your "position" manifests itself as a belief. Which is exactly how religious leaders behave. They believe their "beliefs" are above the bounds of satire and ridicule which is exactly why you and all religions should challenged.
        That may all be very well, but I don't vote, I'm not allowed.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There's freedom of speech and common sense. I don't think it's much to ask to apply both at the same time.

People do not have to read the cartoons, they can simple look the other way. Ignore it. Why is that so difficult? Ignore it often enough and it'll die out of unpopularity. It's seems those minorities that have difficulty with Western society should probably not move here in the first place.

I don't think for a minute I'd be tolerated preaching Christian beliefs and Western living customs in Saudi and still be alive at the end of the week to talk about? The religious police would have me.
          Give it a go I am sure you will be fine
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I think he's wrong. Speaking is just that and nothing more. Whoever throws the first punch is the one taking it to the next level. Now that's causing harm.
            That's stupid. In an ideal world you are right (though many would disagree and say punching you for an insult is entirely acceptable) but in the real world you have to be realistic. You don't upset a tattoed skinhead if you can help it, regardless of free speech.

Is the pope really advocating censorship, or common courtesy and respect of each other?

edit: it's also stupid to say that words don't cause harm. More people are messed up due to words than physical harm.
            Last edited by d000hg; 16 January 2015, 10:28.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Oh look, a right wing Russell Brand
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You don't upset a tattoed skinhead if you can help it, regardless of free speech.
                That's nothing to do with Free Speech and everything to do with Common Sense, which the protagonists seem to be missing in abundant quantities. Not long from now the government will be ready to throw its weight behind a law limiting free speech alongside increased powers for security services. All rather incredible the dark vail enveloping our society, eroding our powers of freedom - this is the left going mad, and what's madder is support is gaining.

Comment

Did he apologise for the inquisition yet?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Unless God actually does exists and responds negatively towards countries that allow this mockery... you might get floods, financial crises, earthquakes...
                    Or he might send people in his name to kill you?

Comment

Freedom of speech is an immutable right. But just because something is legal doesn't always mean you should do it. I think that is the point the pope was trying to make.

IMO insulting a billion people for no reason is pretty moronic. We have enough hate, why create more?

Comment

Working...
                      X