• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Yes. People have the right to be irresponsible.

Most children are irresponsible, that's why we let them babble, but don't put too much weight upon their words.

If you don't like what you are hearing, ignore it. don't make it a crime
    You don't like what Abu Hamza says and think it should be a crime.

According to you different groups of people should have different laws placed upon them when they say something hateful?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You don't like what Abu Hamza says and think it should be a crime.

According to you different groups of people should have different laws placed upon them when they say something hateful?
      I didn't say that.

I said that there are some slander laws
      then there are some national security laws

both of which are subject to parliament and the judiciary interpretations

apart from that. ignore what offends, or what is irresponsible
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So it's OK to spray graffiti on a wall that insults people from Pakistan or is anti-Semitic?
        Why would people from Pakistan know about offensive graffiti on an underpass in hackney? And more importantly why don't I know about there hate filled intentions towards me as the plot their escapades on paper. And doubly more important, why don't I care? Because I can rise above it!
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If you don’t like images of the Prophet Muhammad, fine. Don’t draw them. But don’t tell me I can’t draw them.

If you don’t want to marry someone of the same sex, don’t. But don’t try and tell me who I can and can’t marry.

If you don’t think shops should open on a Sunday, don’t go to the shops. But don’t tell me I have to sit at home and make peace with your god.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Why would people from Pakistan know about offensive graffiti on an underpass in hackney? And more importantly why don't I know about there hate filled intentions towards me as the plot their escapades on paper. And doubly more important, why don't I care? Because I can rise above it!
            You are being deliberately obtuse again.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              And FWIW, I don't consider any of these extremists as Muslim in any way shape or form. They are psychopaths looking for an excuse, that's all.
              I do. They follow an extreme, perhaps corrupted version of Islam, but nonetheless, they are Muslim. The same could be said (as Christians) for the KKK or Anglicans.

Freedom of speech does have its limits. For example, you should not be free to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre (unless there is a fire, or you're executing the audience). Other limits might include inciting racial hatred, harassment, libel/slander against individuals or legal persons such as corporations, etc.

Ignoring Hitler's speeches worked well, didn't it.

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
              ...If you don’t want to marry someone of the same sex, don’t. But don’t try and tell me who I can and can’t marry. ...
              You cannot marry your five year old niece. You cannot marry your brother. You cannot marry your cat. You cannot marry your ltd co. You cannot marry your nose. You cannot marry your dining room table.

Sorry - why can't I try to tell you who you can and cannot marry? Are you trying to curtail my right of freedom of speech?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Your freedom of speech is being constrained: posts that mainly consist of "religion is awful" will be moved to the religion thread.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Your freedom of speech is being constrained: posts that mainly consist of "religion is awful" will be moved to the religion thread.
                  The post actually answered why religion deseves to be mocked and is not sacrosanct. Didn't think you were that petty or empty headed.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I don't think we should set out to insult simply for the sake of insulting but we have to be able to criticise and question. How is it is possible for those who want rational laws to challenge the idea that the whole of society should be governed by the supposed sayings of an 8th century prophet without suggesting that the prophet was just a flawed man, that the Koran is nothing more than the work of mortal men? Cartoons and comedy are necessary ways to do that. Dry, scholarly treatises are never going to reach those we would wish to persuade.

If we did not have so many Muslims in the West causing us problems, we would not feel any necessity to do so, anymore than we spend time criticising Sikhism. It is because so many Muslims have taken advantage of Western prosperity and other attributes that suit them and insist on challenging our values when it doesn't, that we have this problem. For that reason I have little sympathy with them over this issue. As the Muslim Mayor of Rotterdam has said, if they don't like our freedoms they can f* off.

Once the Islamists are out of our hair and we are left with just the moderate Muslims who value democracy and freedom we can all start to get on together and nobody will feel the need to make these "insults" at all.
                    Most eloquently put
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You are being deliberately obtuse again.
                      Not obtuse, pissed off.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X