• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writing a CV for a student

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

key for me and any employer looking to bring in casual labour probably on minimum wage is to demonstrate the ability to get out of bed and be where they are supposed to be at the appointed time and be able to perform basic tasks as required with a non negative attitude.

the cv must show the above as it is the basic hiring standard for this level.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Talk about the final year project. Prospective employers are interested to learn about the research, approach and solution. Above all conveying enthusiasm for the research; he'll have a job in no time.

Life experience is important, foreign travel, exposure to other cultures (and I don't mean a week in Luton), show interest here.

I'd avoid talking about experience of work placements such as the garden centre.
      Is that what the OP is writing the CV for? He said:
      Originally posted by JRCT
      He's looking for part-time work just for a bit of general work experience and beer money.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        To kick him off why not try get him in to a proper role (albeit casual) at a business for free and you pay him. He could try saying he will work 'x' number of months on trial for free (you pay him) and if he adds to the business they start paying him. With a bit of luck he could get something pretty long term and some proper experience in something he is interested in perusing after uni?

Will take a lot of work knocking on doors but only needs one opportunity which could be a winner?
        Hmmmm. A kind of zero hours contract with zero pay!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          key for me and any employer looking to bring in casual labour probably on minimum wage is to demonstrate the ability to get out of bed and be where they are supposed to be at the appointed time and be able to perform basic tasks as required with a non negative attitude.

the cv must show the above as it is the basic hiring standard for this level.
          Er, yet you start your sentences with lower case letters and very little punctuation (commas) in between!?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Hmmmm. A kind of zero hours contract with zero pay!
            Man you talk some utter sh1te sometimes. Go read the post again, think about it a bit and then if you have something mildly intelligent to say feel free to comment.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Man you talk some utter sh1te sometimes. Go read the post again, think about it a bit and then if you have something mildly intelligent to say feel free to comment.
              Haha. You grumpy old sod. You chat a fair bit of tulip too. Yes, I know you said the parent should pay his son. I was making the point the employer pays **** all.

Comment

Er, yet you start your sentences with lower case letters and very little punctuation (commas) in between!?
                An interesting observation however if I need to employ someone to pick fruit I really do not care if they can use an apostrophe correctly.

Comment

An interesting observation however if I need to employ someone to pick fruit I really do not care if they can use an apostrophe correctly.

Comment

What if they're comma (commie) pears?

That doesn't work, does it?

Comment

Haha. You grumpy old sod. You chat a fair bit of tulip too. Yes, I know you said the parent should pay his son. I was making the point the employer pays **** all.
                      I think this is the bit you missed

He could try saying he will work 'x' number of months on trial for free (you pay him) and if he adds to the business they start paying him
                      Am just thinking of a different way of getting a foot in the door at least risk to the employer so he can make himself valuable. Am thinking small business with owner on site with a busy workload. They get a resource to trial to help them out and find out it actually works well so keep him on. You've effectively made a position that wasn't there if he had just dropped his CV off.

Even if the company is a bit mercenary and don't take him on he has experience on his CV working at a small accountancy firm, estate agents, anything. Gotta be better than a stint at McDonalds or the Garden Centre surely? Just depends on how long the OP is willing to pay him I guess..

Anyway, there you go.

I don't think for a minute it's gonna be easy and may not even work at all, just something to consider.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X