• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Deluded' sellers stall the property market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing market in my area is still crazy its London area that is in demand but little supply, I have a good idea of what mine will sell for and I certaintly wouldn't pay it but people will. In recent years my area has become favoured by well-to-do families were two generations tend to live together (nan, gran, son his wife and there kids), so they have bigger spending power. I'm moving further out get a bigger place and realise the gains I made. I'm having an open day for mine and expect to get an ok offer from that.
    Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 8 January 2015, 14:03.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      I started looking at what's available on Rightmove in early December as I'm considering a move and renting out my current place.
      What I've seen seems a bit overpriced compared to what I'm willing to pay, so at the moment I'm voluntarily priced out rather than economically.
      The problem I find is that although I'm willing to stretch for something great, and I'm willing to pay a modest price for something modest, I don't want to stretch for something modest . And the latter is all that seems to be available. So in effect I'm voluntarily priced out, mainly because I just don't care that much.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Estate agents will secure a client by over-valuing a house "I can get you £50k more than the other agent, I have high value cash buyers on book" blah blah.

Then the house doesn't sell, so over a period of months or years the price is reduced until it does sell. Once the client is on-board with an unrealistically high price, that's when they become delusion, convinced their house is worth more than it is, because some unqualified spiv told them so.
        +1 definitely. We went with EA not because they were highest but they were only one who spoke positive about the property. I actually put the house on for less than they suggested.

Had a number of viewings but nothing panned out. It happens, will try again this year.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

thing is if you agree a price with an estate agent that is what they take their %age of fees from

if you then sell for lower you still pay the estate agent what they should have got had you sold at the evaluation price

I should say that is what I have found in the past may not be true now

but even 7 years ago when I last went through this fun n games people had house on the market for x and had had them on the market for 1 or 2 years, refused to lower the price even though it was quite evident that it was not worth x.....

so not really new this

Comment

I viewed a house 3 years ago. I liked it, but it was over valued by at least £30k, in my opinon. Despite the fact they'd dropped £25k already from the 'official' valuation. It didn't sell.

It's come back on the market and the owners have knocked the double garage into an extra room and added an extension on the back for a dining room.

The work is actually very nice, but probably cost c£20k tops. They've now upped the price by £60k from before. I pointed out to the EA that it's too much, and when they argued that it "now has two more rooms", which it does, I countered with "But it hasn't got a garage anymore". "Oh yeah. Fair point", she said.

I might put a cheeky bid in. They're never going to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              I might put a cheeky bid in. They're never going to sell.
              Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But I'd be amazed if they sell it at a "knockdown" price.

People still don't get that "worth" means what people are willing to pay, not what it cost them, or what they perceive the value to be. There's a Facebook local group round these 'ere parts which people use for selling second hand stuff, and the number of times I've seen sellers rejecting lower offers because "no, it's worth X"

Comment

Working...
              X