• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another aspect to immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's your best counter-argument? It's a shame you didn't grow up in a culture which taught you the value of using reasoned debate.

Originally posted by d000hg
    That's because you grew up being told you were important, in a society/culture which places individual rights very highly. Many cultures weigh things differently and the idea that nobody can make decisions for you is rather narrow.
    Originally posted by me
    In some cultures young virgins are sacrificed. So what?
    If you can't decipher the implications of my response, then you have no place talking about reason. Unless of course you think that murdering virgins is ok if it's culturally acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      In some cultures young virgins are sacrificed. So what?
      Can you give an example of a culture where young virgins are sacrificed?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        The example was figurative: Reductio ad absurdum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But for the hard of thinking:

Cultures of human sacrifice, both past and present. Virginity often more aspirational than mandatory.

Top result.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          People, not least on CUK, are always complaining about or lauding the effects of immigration on the UK but what does it do for the countries involved? It may on fact be pretty negative.

Check this study on the effect of remittances on Romania.

Romania is not an exception in this, you will find plenty of properly researched evidence on foreign aid which similarly shows that money from abroad often has little or no positive effects on sustainable economic growth in the recipient nations.

Perhaps more importantly, If talented and hardworking people are always going to choose to go abroad rather than stay and increase the prosperity of their own nations by starting businesses or otherwise contributing to their own economies, how will those economies ever grow?

That is not to say that richer nations should not help poorer nations to develop but rather that we need investment in their economies that will encourage proper long term growth in the nations concerned, and which will benefit ourselves in the long term. No one country, unless it's the size of the US, can produce all of the goods and provide all of the services it needs, and it would make sense to cooperate with other countries, both within and outside the EU, and encourage each to do those things they are good at.

Simply allowing and encouraging mass migration may be the last thing that poorer nations need.
          So are you saying that strawberry picking Romanians are sending enough cash back to Romania to afford to buy "luxury villas" and "luxury cars"? If you actually bothered to work out the maths you would see that BMWs in Romania cost just about as much as they do over here. Property may be very cheap but a luxury villa like this is beyond the reach of any strawberry picker 7 bedroom villa for sale in Prahova, Breaza, Romania

This is a deeply patronising and untrue assessment of what Romanians do with their money.

The real point here is that emigration is unlocking skills markets. With few choices skilled workers remain in their job when they should be getting promoted or moving to another company. This means that new workers can move into the company or up the ladder. Unlike the UK it is not as if the basic supply of graduates is lacking. Romania educates its people very well. Furthermore their engineers remain in engineering and job competition from abroad keeps Romanian employers honest (many don't pay their workers)

The money they send home is to pay basic costs of living of their families. If some of it filters into entrepreneurial activities then so much the better. if a strawberry picker can afford to send enough money home to buy a £1,000,000 villa then I am in the wrong business.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            And a rough estimate of hotel and flight prices.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              You're admitting your counterargument is stupid and then blaming me for that?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You're admitting your counterargument is stupid and then blaming me for that?
                Do you understand what reductio ad absurdum means?

Comment

Working...
                X