• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

15 years since the Millennium Bug

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    By 2000 you'd have missed the boat. Part of the drive for the implementations of SAP was that it was one way to ensure the bug didn't manifest. The rates pre-2000 for SAP were twice what they were afterwards. The contracts were few and far between, and very dull maintenance type stuff. Investing in training has never been a good way of getting into SAP - customers demand experience.
    That would explain why i only did 1 sap installation an activeActive SQL Cluster hosting several SAP modules.

Comment

First proper job on a SAP implementation team from 98 to beat the bug. Rennes, Ghent, Gothenburg, Saarlouis (DE), Wissenbourg(FR) all in 2 years.

Comment

We were unaffected as we used VMS. Still tested it though although that was another team.

Still had to come in though on 2 hour shifts (I think it was 2 hours). I was contracting and the rumoured super-overtime never materialised, in fact, we worked out the lasses behind the bar on the local were on more than us that night.

So I spent that night partly on a Nuclear Power Station, then watching the fireworks going off in town from my living room....

Comment

Around 1986, a friend was working on a system running on a couple of PCs to gather data from the hardware that weighed slaughtered pigs in an abattoir - the pigs were slung up by the hind legs on a kind of monorail affair, slaughtered, cut open and their guts emptied out, then travelled over the weighing mechanism mounted up on the monorail that sent the data over a serial link to his system in a small room to one side. A pig every three seconds, IIRC.

One evening he was talking about his latest work on the system, grinned broadly, and said "Tell you what, I hope they're not expecting to be running this thing in fourteen years' time, because they're in for a very nasty surprise when the year ticks over to 2000!"

He'd raised the issue, but it was dismissed as just one of those weird things nerds babble about by his seniors.

So at least some developers did actually anticipate this stuff well in advance, but doing anything about it was considered out of scope by whoever was managing things.

And as Sainsbury's and the other supermarkets supplied by the abattoir continued to sell pork in the early days of 2000, one can only assume that his system was either no longer in use, or had been suitably patched.
          Last edited by NickFitz; 31 December 2014, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            We were unaffected as we used VMS.
            Wrong! Although VMS was not affected, there are (were) plenty of lazy programmers coding 2-digit dates into data files.

Comment

Working...
            X