• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK expats - f**k em

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    See nothing wrong in that myself. Its hardly as if millions of Brits are unemployed in other EU countries anyway.
    Its growing though...and they do seem to be lazy buggers:

In June 2013 there were 4,648 Brits and 3,664 Americans claiming unemployment benefit known as Hartz IV.

While this accounts for less than one percent of the total number receiving the benefit, the percentage of British and American expats who claim while being fit for work is higher than the national average.

Of the British claimants, 87 percent were fit for employment whereas 83 percent of Americans claimants who get benefits were able to work. The national figure is 73 percent.
    The Germans will also be taking this stance as figures show that 1 in 3 unemployed is a foreigner

(* these figures were for 2013 and 2014 has shown an increase, figures to come if I can be bothered translating the PDFs I have)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Ohhh. Someone's going to play devil's advocate. What fun.

UK pension is a ponzi scheme. You pay for the next generation. Hence we need an ever increasing population to make it work.

The idea of tax is we are in it together. You pay an amount according to your means. You take out according to your needs. You are not supposed to get out what you put in necessarily. I think quite a few rich are not subscribing to this "we are all in it together" model anymore.

Until 15 years ago I was proud to be British and bought up in this country. One reason I am fed up with this country is pandering to people like expats.

I do intend to leave the UK at some point - I will be working abroad.

And I have already told my children they will need to leave the UK - its going downhill. The only thing keeping the country afloat is rising house prices. Another ponzi scheme.
      Agreed on all this, except the "we are in it together" part regarding tax, which is scarcely the case. Leaving could be a good option, and one I am considering, as there are plenty of nice places out there with structurally sounder economies, however the entire global economy has unfortunately become very cyclical on account of central banks, so even if you go somewhere nice and productive like NZ, you'll still feel the consequences when these bubbles are burst, as the flipside of the financial bubbles, are the commodity ones as all the artificial credit sloshes between them. It's a shame, as I like Britain... but not its rather destructive political elite.

Comment

Ohhh. Someone's going to play devil's advocate. What fun.

UK pension is a ponzi scheme. You pay for the next generation. Hence we need an ever increasing population to make it work.

The idea of tax is we are in it together. You pay an amount according to your means. You take out according to your needs. You are not supposed to get out what you put in necessarily. I think quite a few rich are not subscribing to this "we are all in it together" model anymore.

Until 15 years ago I was proud to be British and bought up in this country. One reason I am fed up with this country is pandering to people like expats.

I do intend to leave the UK at some point - I will be working abroad.

And I have already told my children they will need to leave the UK - its going downhill. The only thing keeping the country afloat is rising house prices. Another ponzi scheme.
        Nice to find someone with a similar perspective on this.

+1
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Nice to find someone with a similar perspective on this.

+1
          But here's the interesting question. When will the bubble burst?

Just saw an article in the Telegraph saying Greece must leave the Euro. Same article every year for last 4 years.

What concerns me is that bubbles don't deflate. They tend to burst. But spotting just when that moment is hard. Maybe when everyone thinks the bubble has to grow forever?

Comment

Rather ironic n all since my business continues to support workers back home in Scotland.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Rather ironic n all since my business continues to support workers back home in Scotland.
              Mars bar manufacture is in Slough.

You get your batter from Scotland?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Mars bar manufacture is in Slough.

You get your batter from Scotland?
                Tunnocks cameral wafers actually.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  By the way, it's terribly common to use the term "Brits". It's the kind of word the tabloid press put in their stories. Try typing "British" in full. I know you're a racist scumbag, but that doesn't mean you have to lower your standards of English.
                  c.f. Romps, Tots, and Boffins: The Strange Language of News; Robert Hutton (2013)

(Note for grammar pedants: I added the extra comma after "Tots", because the US punctuation seems more logical.)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    c.f. Romps, Tots, and Boffins: The Strange Language of News; Robert Hutton (2013)

(Note for grammar pedants: I added the extra comma after "Tots", because the US punctuation seems more logical.)
                    Wretched Americans forcing their foreign spelling on us. I hope MS has something to say on this.

Comment

But here's the interesting question. When will the bubble burst?

Just saw an article in the Telegraph saying Greece must leave the Euro. Same article every year for last 4 years.

What concerns me is that bubbles don't deflate. They tend to burst. But spotting just when that moment is hard. Maybe when everyone thinks the bubble has to grow forever?

Very difficult to call, especially with active intervention to boost the market (20% discount to FTB as announced a few days ago). How many more active interventions will there be by UK GOV whilst the bubble stays inflated?

Inflation is falling but a Japan senario looks less likely with oil prices falling giving europe a boost. But I don't see things leading to recession, rather traction gained ahead of the pick up, and when they pick up - they may go for it; and this might be the interest rate bubble prick we need.

A lack of Russian money may impact the top of the market in London, but I don't see this bringing the house down. That's just froth.

Personally I'm not intending on taking a large mortgage any time soon. I have enough risk/stress without that in my life! Ok so I live in a modest house - at least I sleep well at night.

I suppose, when the actual cuts come, which UK GOV has side stepped for 5 years; that might start to bite. Who knows!
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X