• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seige in Sydney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Despicable rubberneckers'

An opinion piece in the Herald Sun attacks what it calls the "despicable rubberneckers who took selfies and socked back beers and wine while they gawked at the Martin Place siege 100 metres away."
    "Lingering just so you can tweet a pic of yourself to your mates, or worse to grab a few coldies and settle in to watch the utter horror unfold like it's a movie at the cinema, is just deplorable," it adds.
    Is it deplorable/despicable? I suspect the 'utter horror' unfolding is probably rather dull at the moment, and will hopefully end without any 'horror' at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Its time for a crusade! Where's a King Richard when you need one?

Where are the islamic religious 'leaders' in all of this? Why are they not condeming these extremists globally? There's an uneerie silence to paraphase Paul Davis.
      U would be surprised how much the media conceal from us. Let's also not forget that Muslims are actually the biggest victims of these Saudi sponsored nut jobs. They feel they have as little to do with them as me or you .

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        U would be surprised how much the media conceal from us. Let's also not forget that Muslims are actually the biggest victims of these Saudi sponsored nut jobs. They feel they have as little to do with them as me or you .
        So why don't more of them say so?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Because they have little opportunity to see say - and where they do the media is rarely interested.

Look at the McCann case - if she was dark skinned from Saudi would she have got the same publicity?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Its time for a crusade! Where's a King Richard when you need one?

Where are the islamic religious 'leaders' in all of this? Why are they not condeming these extremists globally? There's an uneerie silence to paraphase Paul Davis.
            Originally posted by BBC
            Earlier, Australia's Muslim community released a joint statement saying it condemned "this criminal act unequivocally". The Australian National Imams Council and the Grand Mufti of Australia said that "such actions are denounced in part and in whole in Islam".
            Unlike the Catholic Church, and in common with most other faiths, Islam doesn't have a single central global leadership. Mainstream leaders in all the western countries affected by extremism have all condemned it publicly.

You might also like to checkout #Illridewithyou

Solidarity and support from non Muslims in Australia offering to travel on public transport with Muslims who feel intimidated and uncomfortable in public as a result of this.

Calling for a "Crusade" is no different than Muslim extremists calling for Jihad and I feel pretty sure that the Church of England etc would roundly condemn it themselves.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Firstly you are probably living in your own bubble of sky and bbc news.

Secondly I don't blame Jews for the massacre of babies, children and bombing of schools by Israel so why should I blame Muslims (who are comprised of 100 sects) collectively for some nut jobs whose ideology is sponsored by our major Arab ally?

Thirdly the representatives of all Muslims organisations in AUS have already signed a condemnation later. What exactly do you want them to do?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Unlike the Catholic Church, and in common with most other faiths, Islam doesn't have a single central global leadership. Mainstream leaders in all the western countries affected by extremism have all condemned it publicly.

You might also like to checkout #Illridewithyou

Solidarity and support from non Muslims in Australia offering to travel on public transport with Muslims who feel intimidated and uncomfortable in public as a result of this.

Calling for a "Crusade" is no different than Muslim extremists calling for Jihad and I feel pretty sure that the Church of England etc would roundly condemn it themselves.
                Spot on and well said - that approach is what the extremists are worried about. They don't want you to be tolerant of others so that they can go and recruit more people to their cause. DA and bolshie are doing exactly what the nutters want them to do - well done guys.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  Firstly you are probably living in your own bubble of sky and bbc news.

Secondly I don't blame Jews for the massacre of babies, children and bombing of schools by Israel so why should I blame Muslims (who are comprised of 100 sects) collectively for some nut jobs whose ideology is sponsored by our major Arab ally?

Thirdly the representatives of all Muslims organisations in AUS have already signed a condemnation later. What exactly do you want them to do?
                  What other bubble is there?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

At times like this I wonder what kentphillip is thinking.

Guy sounds a compete fruit bat more than a religious zealot. I think we can hold off bombing the middle east in retaliation.

Comment

Sky news just said there has been a recent rise of islamophobia in Australia, surely that can't be right? When I lived there 15 year ago just about everyone openly hated Muslims. I didn't think a rise was possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X