• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long commutes - coping with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spend about 45 minutes in the car each way if the traffic is good. The best thing I ever did was decided to just relax and enjoy the personal time, I do not try to shave minutes off by aggressive driving as that stresses me out. I listen to audiobooks and alternate a fiction one with a fact based one each time. Currently I am about to start book 7 of Skullduggery and am listening to a modern scholar course on master pieces of classical music.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

since we're playing the "longest commute" game i thought i'd throw in mine from 5 years back

bham to london 120 miles one way door to door mon-fri, kept it up for about a year

the audiobooks is a great shout, scrolled my way through a ton of books and there are far more available now then there were 5 years ago

i would also recommend podcasts, BeyondPod is a great app you'll find a host of stuff that takes your interest

Comment

60 miles is quite average for me, current contract is at 62 miles, 1h20 on a good day 1h45 on a bad day. Most of my contracts are that sort of distance.
        Car always has the preference above public transport, except if it would be central London or Birmingham, which are the only two exceptions for me where I would take the train

Comment

1hr plus driving each way just knackers me though. I dunno what it is.
          A 10-11 hr day including 2-3 hrs driving is a killer. I get home and Im fit for bugger all.

Also, by the time I get home, have something to eat, play with the kids etc. I end up going to bed about midnight and then up again at 630 which is probably not enough sleep.

By the weekend, Im screwed.....

Now 4 days a week would be nice. One day to recover for the weekend :-)

Comment

I used to drive 95 miles each way, about 1.5-2 hours, 5 days a week. Then that changed to a different site 20 miles further, but only 3 days a week. Worst commute was to Bristol as that involved a 1.5 hour drive followed by catching a train into the centre, every day.

I found 2 hours is the limit. That's where I'm too knackered to do anything. 1 hour is fine. Current permie job is 30-45 minutes, no problem. Also driving is much more tiring when you have to do it in the dark; so much easier in summer.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
              its a decent paid gig - Its time like this I think sod the dosh, let me just work 4 days then!
              So do that then!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Aye. Reckon I need to chill a bit driving. Find trying to bomb it at 80+ gets stressful....

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I used to drive 95 miles each way, about 1.5-2 hours, 5 days a week. Then that changed to a different site 20 miles further, but only 3 days a week. Worst commute was to Bristol as that involved a 1.5 hour drive followed by catching a train into the centre, every day.

I found 2 hours is the limit. That's where I'm too knackered to do anything. 1 hour is fine. Current permie job is 30-45 minutes, no problem. Also driving is much more tiring when you have to do it in the dark; so much easier in summer.
                  I tend to have gigs miles away just as winter starts! :-(

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    I used to listen to R4 but it is a wind up and raises stress levels when driving. I recommend Classic FM in the morning and R4 for driving home.

Speaking from 10+ years of commuting 1hr+ a day.
                    In the morning I listen to Radio 4 until some pr1ck of a politician starts to annoy me then I switch to Smooth FM for a bit. On my way home it is Smooth FM all the time, I can't stand that Eddie Mair prat on PM.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Anything over an hour, I tend to stay locally, if only a couple of days a week. Treat yourself to a couple of nights in the local Premier Inn. More if further away.

Timeshifting works well if the client is okay with it. At my gig I leave home 9:00, arrive 10:00. Work late then pop into the local gym (what else is there to do, right?), stay locally and build up hours to leave early on Friday.

My current route consists largely of the M1, in the variable speed limit section. I find the 60 MPH limit is quite pleasant, as everyone seems to stick to it. Cruise control helps, as does Radio 2, Radio 5, USB music. Radio 4 is okay until the interminable PC dribble becomes too much. Steering wheel radio controls help.

Comment

Working...
                      X