• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long commutes - coping with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my view any commute over an hour grinds you down. I had a daily commute of 1h 20 mins each way for several months and didn't get used to it. You need to stay over a couple of nights or work at home. Or get a new contract.

A good radio programme, such as the radio 4 today show is a gr8 help but doesn't take the tiring grind away.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 December 2014, 12:44.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Traffic is not too bad - probably 10-15 mins longer with queuing.
      Train is ok - 55 mins but its the travel at home end and walk at the other that makes it hassle. Plus of course you lose the flexibility then.

Guess shouldnt moan - I here london 90 mins is about the average commute.

At the moment, its not so much the time - its a decent paid gig - but the fact its knackering me.
      Unfortunatey, looks like WFH aint gonna be on.

Its time like this I think sod the dosh, let me just work 4 days then!

Comment

I used to listen to R4 but it is a wind up and raises stress levels when driving. I recommend Classic FM in the morning and R4 for driving home.

Speaking from 10+ years of commuting 1hr+ a day.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
          Guess shouldnt moan - I here london 90 mins is about the average commute.
          Average commute in London is just under 1 hour one way.

However that's ignoring that at least twice a week (and sometimes more) there will be signal problems, someone throwing themselves onto the tracks, car crashes, lorries dumping loads on the road, bomb scares etc. Which means the commuting time can take at least 2 hours.

If you are driving the trick is to find some radio stations you like listening to, and avoiding music that makes you feel agitated or aggressive.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used to drive Brentwood to Stockley Park and back on a daily basis. Did it for two years. That's 60 miles each way on the M25. I found Radio 4 to be most helpful. I also time-shifted my day, leaving about 8:30am to arrive just before 10:00, and then home again 18:00, to be back home at about 19:30. Traffic conditions varied, but usually it was 3 hours on the road.

Adapting your driving style helps a lot. Rather than flat out trying to get there as fast as possible, take it easy. Be polite and considerate to other road users. It might take you a few minutes longer to reach your destination, but you're less likely to have an accident, you won't so often get a speeding ticket, and you'll arrive far more relaxed.

If on a motorway, at the first sign of congestion, move into the left hand land - you'll make better progress that way. I realised this when I noticed I was overtaking the same lorry after each spell of congestion.

Finally, if part of your route is closed or really heavily congested, have your diversion route already worked out.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Commutes in London tend to be short in distance but long in time. Which is why cycling is a good idea.

Comment

Commuting by car in any big city is a pain, London even worse than most.

An hour is as long as I will regularly commute, I prefer to stay over a few days or all week, but my sons are all grown up and being away is no hassle to me.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                  My commute is 2000+ kms, 7 hours, door to door. Provided there's not ATR strike, computer failure, fog, snow, problem with a plane or plane just being late. Then it can be anywhere up to 24 hours one way.
                  I only do it 2-4 times a month, but please stop whining.
                  I think at least a million people in UK endure the commute as long as what you described.
                  Pah. 2000k. You were lucky.

I have to commute 12000 miles a month. 16 hours door to door twice a month with a full 8 hours timezone difference.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It depends on what you are used to, my average commute is 65mins in the am & 90 in the eve.

The 90 min is probably the most I would want to do on a regular basis, but ultimately I go where the sites are.

Public transport normally does not go where I want & I get a car allowance so its drive all the way.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
                      So do you get used to?

Started a gig a few weeks ago. 60 miles each way so 1 hr-1.15 on a good day to drive. Or 90 mins door to door on the train.
                      Driving is a lot less hassle and a bit quicker but its knackering me out.

Do you get used to it? Im not as young as I used to be but this is doing me in. Of course, could get train and have once or twice but its hassle.
                      60 miles? Is that all? I used to do 80 each way. I even did Leeds which was 93 each way. From where I live, my normal average was 55 miles each way.

Man up. Alternatively stop over one or two nights a week.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X