• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criticism after 'car park rescue' of Cairngorm walker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hiking in the lakes, just about to set off when a camper van pulled up.
    It was a family out for a days walking.

The dad gets his map out, orients it with his compass, checks for visible land marks, then points and says - 'this way'

Then his 16-ish daughter gets out of the van, holding a similar map, sees that the destination is dead ahead and says - 'no, its this way'

When the dad points out that which ever way she faces , the destination would be dead ahead, she threw a hissy and insisted that her original direction was correct. she wouldn't be budged and she sqweemed and sqweemed.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I was hiking in the lakes, just about to set off when a camper van pulled up.
      It was a family out for a days walking.

The dad gets his map out, orients it with his compass, checks for visible land marks, then points and says - 'this way'

Then his 16-ish daughter gets out of the van, holding a similar map, sees that the destination is dead ahead and says - 'no, its this way'

When the dad points out that which ever way she faces , the destination would be dead ahead, she threw a hissy and insisted that her original direction was correct. she wouldn't be budged and she sqweemed and sqweemed.
      We were taught how to read OS maps and orienteering in junior school, we even had days out map reading and drawing up our own maps. WTF do they teach these days?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        We were taught how to read OS maps and orienteering in junior school, we even had days out map reading and drawing up our own maps. WTF do they teach these days?
        Powapoint, meeja (how to phone hack) and making ginger cake.

In geography, we even had to make sections from the contours on an OS map to determine whether an incline was convex or concave.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          Powapoint, meeja (how to phone hack) and making ginger cake.

In geography, we even had to make sections from the contours on an OS map to determine whether an incline was convex or concave.
          One of the advanced techniques in orienteering is run on a contour. Its pretty easy to determine if you are running up, down or level
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Thing is that it is not inexperienced shandy drinking morris dancing folk that kill themselves in the hills, a royal marine died running in Glen Cova a few weeks back,
            Wearing vest & shorts I know from experience its easy to think you're invincible and end up pushing your luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Wearing vest & shorts I know from experience its easy to think you're invincible and end up pushing your luck.
              It's also way easier to get lost and disorientated than we all like to think, too.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                It's also way easier to get lost and disorientated than we all like to think, too.
                Yeah, although he'll have done a lot of navigating in the dark on his own, and would have the bloody mindedness to just choose a bearing and keep going straight no matter what until he reached civilisation if he got lost. I reckon he probably pushed it too far and got hypothermic after which your brain is much less use.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  One of the advanced techniques in orienteering is run on a contour. Its pretty easy to determine if you are running up, down or level
                  That is exactly one of the methods coastal skippers use to navigate inshore through fog and darkness (using depth contours of course)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    I feel like that in CUK. I did find the door out a while ago - but I somehow wandered back in a while ago and can't seem to find it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X