• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Criticism after 'car park rescue' of Cairngorm walker"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It's also way easier to get lost and disorientated than we all like to think, too.
    I feel like that in CUK. I did find the door out a while ago - but I somehow wandered back in a while ago and can't seem to find it again.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    One of the advanced techniques in orienteering is run on a contour. Its pretty easy to determine if you are running up, down or level
    That is exactly one of the methods coastal skippers use to navigate inshore through fog and darkness (using depth contours of course)

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It's also way easier to get lost and disorientated than we all like to think, too.
    Yeah, although he'll have done a lot of navigating in the dark on his own, and would have the bloody mindedness to just choose a bearing and keep going straight no matter what until he reached civilisation if he got lost. I reckon he probably pushed it too far and got hypothermic after which your brain is much less use.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Wearing vest & shorts I know from experience its easy to think you're invincible and end up pushing your luck.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Thing is that it is not inexperienced shandy drinking morris dancing folk that kill themselves in the hills, a royal marine died running in Glen Cova a few weeks back,
    Wearing vest & shorts I know from experience its easy to think you're invincible and end up pushing your luck.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Powapoint, meeja (how to phone hack) and making ginger cake.

In geography, we even had to make sections from the contours on an OS map to determine whether an incline was convex or concave.
    One of the advanced techniques in orienteering is run on a contour. Its pretty easy to determine if you are running up, down or level

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    We were taught how to read OS maps and orienteering in junior school, we even had days out map reading and drawing up our own maps. WTF do they teach these days?
    Powapoint, meeja (how to phone hack) and making ginger cake.

In geography, we even had to make sections from the contours on an OS map to determine whether an incline was convex or concave.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was hiking in the lakes, just about to set off when a camper van pulled up.
    It was a family out for a days walking.

The dad gets his map out, orients it with his compass, checks for visible land marks, then points and says - 'this way'

Then his 16-ish daughter gets out of the van, holding a similar map, sees that the destination is dead ahead and says - 'no, its this way'

When the dad points out that which ever way she faces , the destination would be dead ahead, she threw a hissy and insisted that her original direction was correct. she wouldn't be budged and she sqweemed and sqweemed.
    We were taught how to read OS maps and orienteering in junior school, we even had days out map reading and drawing up our own maps. WTF do they teach these days?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was hiking in the lakes, just about to set off when a camper van pulled up.
    It was a family out for a days walking.

The dad gets his map out, orients it with his compass, checks for visible land marks, then points and says - 'this way'

Then his 16-ish daughter gets out of the van, holding a similar map, sees that the destination is dead ahead and says - 'no, its this way'

When the dad points out that which ever way she faces , the destination would be dead ahead, she threw a hissy and insisted that her original direction was correct. she wouldn't be budged and she sqweemed and sqweemed.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Every time I come down from Snowden I put in a tenner if they are there. I can't see us getting into trouble as we take the easy route - and only go up when the weather is good - but who can tell?
    I remember on the walk in to the Glyders traverse one year at the bottom of the Glyder Slabs, I notice someone preparing to lead and struggling with his gear. He asked me if I could show him how to tie a figure of eight in his harness.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Orienteering skills are a tad shocking these days. <old man mode> back in my day it was a map and a compass and plan to be back before 17:00, or you're in do da. Folks spend all day climbing to the top expecting to get back down in 30 minutes.

And another thing! The number of times I see folks in the hills walking and looking at the views at the same time and once never at their feet. Doomed I tell ya.
    Accidents rarely happen on the way up (aside from exposure and stuff but that is not an accident), almost always on the way down.

As a climber, when people were worried about falling, we used to say 'it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!'

He was obviously lost in the first place, he should have been on Cairngormless.
    Last edited by tractor; 13 December 2014, 13:06.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I dropped a fiver in the bucket of the local mountain rescue guys when I was at Sainsburys the other day. It's like insurance, you never know when you're gonna need your carcass hauling off a hill somewhere.

As regards that article, if he'd made it to the ski hut and was 400m from a car park (could have been a 400m drop though ) and had a phone, couldn't they have talked him down?

Langdale MRT can usually be relied upon to make criticism of rescued persons where they haven't prepared properly or are being unresonable. An example. They publish an incident report for each time they're called out which can make interesting reading.
    Every time I come down from Snowden I put in a tenner if they are there. I can't see us getting into trouble as we take the easy route - and only go up when the weather is good - but who can tell?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Thing is that it is not inexperienced shandy drinking morris dancing folk that kill themselves in the hills, a royal marine died running in Glen Cova a few weeks back, an activates instructor nearly died as well out running in the cairngorms not long after

BBC News - Body found in search for missing Royal Marine
    BBC News - Runner tells of relief at surviving sub-zero Cairngorms

These people should have known better but made really stupid errors.
    Orienteering skills are a tad shocking these days. <old man mode> back in my day it was a map and a compass and plan to be back before 17:00, or you're in do da. Folks spend all day climbing to the top expecting to get back down in 30 minutes.

And another thing! The number of times I see folks in the hills walking and looking at the views at the same time and once never at their feet. Doomed I tell ya.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Thing is that it is not inexperienced shandy drinking morris dancing folk that kill themselves in the hills, a royal marine died running in Glen Cova a few weeks back, an activates instructor nearly died as well out running in the cairngorms not long after

BBC News - Body found in search for missing Royal Marine
    BBC News - Runner tells of relief at surviving sub-zero Cairngorms

These people should have known better but made really stupid errors.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    I dropped a fiver in the bucket of the local mountain rescue guys when I was at Sainsburys the other day. It's like insurance, you never know when you're gonna need your carcass hauling off a hill somewhere.

As regards that article, if he'd made it to the ski hut and was 400m from a car park (could have been a 400m drop though ) and had a phone, couldn't they have talked him down?

Langdale MRT can usually be relied upon to make criticism of rescued persons where they haven't prepared properly or are being unresonable. An example. They publish an incident report for each time they're called out which can make interesting reading.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X