• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody use a breathalyser?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Correct, they're still a legal requirement but you won't get fined if you don't have them. I have a couple in the car but have never used them although I bought, for a laugh, an electronic one a short while ago which seems to be quite on the ball, especially the day after. If it shows any sign of a reading I won't drive.
    It's absolutely farcical anyway, given how complicated it is to change bulbs in many modern cars now.

Comment

To answer the OP: If you've had two (beers/single tots/wines/etc), you can't drive. If you've had one, you'd be borderline in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Now that the law in Scotland means a lower alcohol limit I'm a bit concerned about about still being over the next morning. I don't drink on a school night so going to work isn't a problem but if I have a drink on a Friday evening when is it safe to drive?

The guidelines are vague and don't take into account several factors so I thought buying a breathalyser just to be sure. The £5-50 offerings seem to be mostly innacurate or just plain crap so I'm looking for something more 'pro' up to £300 or so.

Anybody use one, got any recommendations?
        Its impossible to give guidelines because there are so many variations that can affect alcohol levels ie strength of the drink, gender, body size, amount of food eaten beforehand etc.

I believe the limit in scotland means less than a pint should be consumed for a man or less than half a pint for a woman. (Cannot remember what the amount of wine is.)

The rule I follow is dont drink any alcohol the night before if you need to drive the next morning. I wouldnt drive for at least 18 hours after the last drink if I'd had two or three 'drinks.' I believe alcohol can stay in the body for up to 24 hours so maybe even 18 hours isnt enough.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I believe the limit in scotland means less than a pint should be consumed for a man or less than half a pint for a woman. (Cannot remember what the amount of wine is.)
          Even that is vague because what does "consumed" mean - sipping a pint over an hour so it is already breaking down before you finish it, or drinking it in 10min and immediately driving. Presumably there's a delay between it going in your mouth and getting into your blood too e.g. if you necked 3 shots of rum and immediately drove the 5 minutes drive home, would you get home before you were over the limit?

Not that I suggest this is wise, but there must be some rate at which you can drink without ever going over the limit e.g. a pint every two hours and don't drive until an hour after the last one, etc?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Even that is vague because what does "consumed" mean - sipping a pint over an hour so it is already breaking down before you finish it, or drinking it in 10min and immediately driving. Presumably there's a delay between it going in your mouth and getting into your blood too e.g. if you necked 3 shots of rum and immediately drove the 5 minutes drive home, would you get home before you were over the limit?
            Throw in the size of person for making it a bit more interesting ...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Not that I suggest this is wise, but there must be some rate at which you can drink without ever going over the limit e.g. a pint every two hours and don't drive until an hour after the last one, etc?
              Which is why my post then goes on to say the rule I follow and maybe 18 hours isnt long enough etc.

Do you have trouble reading English or is it just your eyesight that's at fault?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Yep, the morning after thing worries me. I'm sure I've probably sailed a bit close a couple of times.

Bring your breathalyser to the party, Nick - we need some party games
                So we are allowed to ask you to blow on this?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

BBC News - Warning issued over 'drunk walking'

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    So we are allowed to ask you to blow on this?
                    Are you waiting for me to bite?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Are you waiting for me to bite?
                      As long as you kiss it better afterwards

Comment

Working...
                      X