• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He's back! - Ex-SNP leader Alex Salmond to stand for UK parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Typical hypocritical move by someone more interested in power than delivery. He'll have zero impact from the back benches in the House, even if he gets called to speak, all he'll get is column inches. Which is the objective after all.

And I may be wrong, but wasn't the whole point of his campaign to get Scotland out of the UK Parliament. And just to prove his desire to fight a good fight, the seat he's after is held by a Lib Dem, and moreover one who's retiring...

And people wonder why we hate politicians.
    Typical Little Englander view and the reason why I don't visit the IPSE fora.

He's the only politician in the UK who has led a minority government and he knows how a small group can influence policy.

He is the MSP for the Gordon constituency so is fighting the same area for Westminster.

He is donating his First Minister pension to local good causes until he actually retires and for the year he will be both an MP & MSP he will donate one of those salaries to the same good causes as he did the first time round.
    Last edited by Batcher; 8 December 2014, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      Typical Little Englander view
      Well I'm Welsh, for a start, so that doesn't work
      and the reason why I don't visit the IPSE fora.
      And that is totally irrelevant bollocks but hey...

He's the only politician in the UK who has led a minority government and he knows how a small group can influence policy.

He is the MSP for the Gordon constituency so is fighting the same area for Westminster.

He is donating his First Minister pension to local good causes until he actually retires and for the year he will be both an MP & MSP he will donate one of those salaries to the same good causes as he did the first time round.
      He ran a government with no tax raising powers and no constitutional responsibility, and didn't use the tax-variation powers he did have, so can't see that his experience is all that relevant. His post-devolution economic promises were both economically illiterate and undeliverable and I'll give good odds he was praying he didn't win.

But if you can't see the inherent contradiction in him trying to join the UK Parliament, via a seat that will have zero opposition to worry about, then fine.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well I'm Welsh, for a start, so that doesn't work

And that is totally irrelevant bollocks but hey...

He ran a government with no tax raising powers and no constitutional responsibility, and didn't use the tax-variation powers he did have, so can't see that his experience is all that relevant. His post-devolution economic promises were both economically illiterate and undeliverable and I'll give good odds he was praying he didn't win.

But if you can't see the inherent contradiction in him trying to join the UK Parliament, via a seat that will have zero opposition to worry about, then fine.
        Little Englander is a term for Xenophobes and doesn't only have to refer to English people in the UK. Not all of the English are Little Englanders.

He still had to get the budget past the parliament so that involved concessions with the other parties. He knows the SNP will have power at Westminster if they have a large enough group and will be able to get concessions out of the ruling coalition.

It's not a contradiction for him to enter Westminster as it's a great chance to stir things up and get further down the road to independence for Scotland. It's total nonsense to say he was praying he wouldn't win the one thing he has campaigned for his whole life.

Comment

Little Englander is a term for Xenophobes and doesn't only have to refer to English people in the UK. Not all of the English are Little Englanders.
          Yes, I know. Despite my heritage I'm quite good at demotic English thanks. Come to that I'm also pretty well up to speed on the problems of a suppressed nation with a puppet government run by a bunch of chancers, except the Welsh don't have the protection of the Act of Union.

snip....It's total nonsense to say he was praying he wouldn't win the one thing he has campaigned for his whole life.
          If you've bought into that then fine. I haven't, I prefer the view that the plan is for an independent anything with him in charge. You will note his stated main objective in the UK Parliament is to be the balance of power, preferably with a Labour minority lead.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes, I know. Despite my heritage I'm quite good at demotic English thanks. Come to that I'm also pretty well up to speed on the problems of a suppressed nation with a puppet government run by a bunch of chancers, except the Welsh don't have the protection of the Act of Union.

If you've bought into that then fine. I haven't, I prefer the view that the plan is for an independent anything with him in charge. You will note his stated main objective in the UK Parliament is to be the balance of power, preferably with a Labour minority lead.
            That's a given since the SNP only stand in Scottish constituancies therefore can't possibly run the UK government.

The SNP also refuse to enter the HoL and won't vote on matters that don't affect Scotland so EVEL will have less importance the more SNP MPs that are returned.

Comment

Exactly. Its an excellent term for any group in the UK that acts in an overly nationalistic way and thinks their problems are caused by a group of people from a different racial or national background.

For example: Scottish Nationalists.

Comment

Originally posted by NickyBoy View Post
                Exactly. Its an excellent term for any group in the UK that acts in an overly nationalistic way and thinks their problems are caused by a group of people from a different racial or national background.

For example: Scottish Nationalists.

Comment

It's not a contradiction for him to enter Westminster as it's a great chance to stir things up and get further down the road to independence for Scotland. It's total nonsense to say he was praying he wouldn't win the one thing he has campaigned for his whole life.
                  Didn't they have a referendum about with the majority of Scots voting against it?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    Didn't they have a referendum about with the majority of Scots voting for it but MI5 managed to swap loads of ballot boxes filled with No votes?
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Didn't they have a referendum about with the majority of Scots voting against it?
                      So, rather than having a UK GE next year are you advocating cancelling it cause you had one a few years ago ? Might as well just keep the government you've got rather than asking the question again
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X