• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Friday shopping 'riots'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sartois View Post
    When did this country become obsessed with Black Friday... don't remember hearing much about it last year but everyones going mental over it today... most of the permies have done nothing but try to get onto the retail websites today and have given up any pretense of doing any work...
    Amazon has been running it for a few years.

Since the sofa stores have been caught out with their never ending sales, both them and other shops have been careful about naming their discount days as lots of people aren't that interested in the pre-Xmas sales anymore.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the shops deserve some of the blame.

They knew high ticket items would attract a lot of buyers, most of the issues seem to surround large TV etc.

Why did they not put in a ticket queueing system and have the products roped off, grab a ticket and take one item only.

They knew it was going to be a bunfight. We have the same in the Local Tesco when the reduced items are put out, I have been kicked and hit a few times items have been ripped out of my hands. They have a security guard come out, you queue up and can take 2-4 items much more civilised.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sales pah inkspe

Comment

Normally I find Xmas a pretty grim time with all these happy excited people and annoying kids wanting the earth but I must admit it fills me with seasons cheer to see poor people fighting over discounted crap.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

They knew high ticket items would attract a lot of buyers, most of the issues seem to surround large TV etc.

Why did they not put in a ticket queueing system and have the products roped off, grab a ticket and take one item only.

They knew it was going to be a bunfight. We have the same in the Local Tesco when the reduced items are put out, I have been kicked and hit a few times items have been ripped out of my hands. They have a security guard come out, you queue up and can take 2-4 items much more civilised.
            I agree the shops must shoulder a lot of the blame. Anyone with half a brain should know the morons who see a few quid off go stupid at sales.

That said, most of these items only had £80 knocked off. Id expect something like that by haggling. There's a picture on the mail website of 3 fat slags women shoppers with three, 40" tv's in their zafira and what looks like another two in a shopping trolley.

That's five 40" Polariod tv's (not a make I'd look at to be frank)! WTF do they need 5 for? No doubt they'll be trying to sell 3 or 4 on EBay any time now.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

That's five 40" Polariod tv's (not a make I'd look at to be frank)! WTF do they need 5 for? No doubt they'll be trying to sell 3 or 4 on EBay any time now.
              Why would I buy a b]Polariod[/b] TV of you on ebay when if I waited a few months (or even a few days) I could get one from the retailer for £10 more with a guarantee?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Can the police charge the supermarkets for the cost of policing their sales events? Football clubs pay for policing at matches so it's only fair supermarkets do when they do these stupid things.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  I agree the shops must shoulder a lot of the blame. Anyone with half a brain should know the morons who see a few quid off go stupid at sales.

That said, most of these items only had £80 knocked off. Id expect something like that by haggling. There's a picture on the mail website of 3 fat slags women shoppers with three, 40" tv's in their zafira and what looks like another two in a shopping trolley.

I was in Tesco picking up V minor 2 earlier (her & a Friend had been shopping in town) , they had a booth and it was roped off with all the high value stuff, all seemed very civilised.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Why would I buy a b]Polariod[/b] TV of you on ebay when if I waited a few months (or even a few days) I could get one from the retailer for £10 more with a guarantee?
                    You wouldnt buy it off me.

The plebs who'd be looking to sell the extra ones they bought will not think about it like that will they?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X