• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland should set its own income tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Undoubtedly, some people voted no because they clearly wanted to stay part of the UK, but there were also plenty who believed ramblings of Brown and Darling, the 'vow', the lies, the media spin etc. probably more than enough in the latter camp to have swung the outcome to 'Yes'.
    Undoubtedly, some people voted YES because they clearly wanted to leave the UK, but there were also plenty who believed the ramblings of Salmond and Sturgeon, the 'promises', the lies, the well-oiled spin machine etc. ....

See how well your argument works? It doesn't. Arguments were made. Votes were cast. Decision made.

And the reality is that "YES" have never been ahead in 300 years of Union. And if you can't win coming out of the back of the worst recession in one hundred years, with oil at a high price and with a Tory government in Westminster then you never will.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Well I agree. The people were presented with the facts, given a vote and opted to stay within the UK. Simple.

You just cannot accept the it that the majority of the population of Scotland DISAGREED WITH YOU.

Which is why you resort to crap about "quislings", Project Fear" and assuming that "NO" voters where either scared, stupid or hoodwinked without letting the possibility enter your mind that actually an awful lot of Scots WANT to be part of the UK and are proud of being part of the UK.

The people spoke and they didn't agree with you.
      Bear in mind, though, it was a win that came off the back of promises of further devolution. So it is a tentative "yes". Also, I think the "no" campaign fudged up on the economics of it, as they couldn't really put forward a coherent vision of what would come next in regards to the currency, which no doubt put off many voters. Plus the rather childish threats of retribution against companies that were warning that they'd pull out of Scotland. This stuff isn't indicative of a forward thinking government, and is a sign that the government would be more than willing to turn doing business into a political matter. I think there's already far too much of that, and we don't need more of it. If I were Scottish, I'd have voted for independence.

I can only hope that UKIP learn from the "yes" campaign's downfall.

Comment

I would be quite happy with getting rid of both the European Parliament and the Scottish Government. I see no purpose to either.

You make your own way in the world, the SNP are offering people who cannot do that something that cannot be delivered. Politics will not make people happy, the free market will.

Comment

Working...
        X