• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Lewis Hamilton be allowed to use the UK flag?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Of course it's to do with his tax status. He can still own a home and pay tax in the UK if he wanted to. He travels the world most of the year anyway for races and testing cars.
    There may be other reasons for choosing Monaco over Stevenage than just tax.

He doesn't work in the UK very often. Would he even be paying UK tax if he lived here?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I think he should apply for Czechoslovakian nationality, then he can wrap himself up in the checkered flag

Or become French and wrap himself up in a white flag?

Get my coat for me while you are at the cloakroom.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Or become French and wrap himself up in a white flag?

Get my coat for me while you are at the cloakroom.....
        half the people here think he is up to some form of chicanery
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There are good reasons to leave Britain, but tax isn't one - Max Hastings
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I bet Simon Dolan is watching this carefully lol...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Since when has paying tax ever been a moral virtue?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

...and if I could do the same in his position I'd be off like a shot and not look back.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Of course he should be allowed. Just more Daily Wail bulltulip!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    ...and if I could do the same in his position I'd be off like a shot and not look back.
                    Could we have a whip round?

I am assuming there is no internet abroad so you can't be a mod from there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Are you suggesting that he wasn't telling the truth when he said it wasn't about his tax status, it was just that he needed his privacy in a tax shelter?
                      I don't think he was bothered that much by paps as he was out of the country most of the time working anyway. Plus, with the millions he has, he could easily buy an estate that is well secured from prying eyes.

If the high earners would just be honest and say they don't want to put money back into the country when they've made it big then people would probably agree with them, much like Rod Stewart did back in the 70s when tax was 97% at the high end.

Obviously no-one likes paying tax but when you get to that level of earning power you're not really going to miss a few extra £k. Most sportsmen request their fee net of tax so they are paid the extra on top to take care of it. Some, like Hamilton, try to make more money out of the deal by paying less tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X