• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Riots in Ferguson...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video: Watch: Cleveland police release footage of officers shooting dead 12-year-old Tamir Rice - Telegraph

The Cleveland police should not be allowed to carry weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      But he didn't did he? TBH it's hard with all the 'eyewitness' accounts etc but it seems;

1. Black Guy nicked some Cigars in a violent robbery (confirmed by his friend's lawyer and on video).

2. White Copper spotted him jaywalking, in a patrol car, and told him and his friend to move to the side of the road.

2a. White copper notices that the guys match the description for a robbery nearby and attempts to apprehend them.

3. 20 stone Black Guy ran at car and tried to get gun/assaulted officer - pics on net off officer injuries, crime scene investigators found tissue from Michael Brown on the hammer of the pistol and inside the patrol car which support the officer's story.

4. Guy ran off.

5. Officer chased him

6. Guy gave up and either surrendered or approached officer in a threatening way according to eye witnesses. The majority of eye witnesses (who are, to be fair, known for being unreliable in fast moving tense situations) claim the guy was advancing towards to the police officer.

7. Suspect refused to follow instructions.

8. Guy charged forward and therefore became a threat so the officer opened fire as he had previously warned would be the case.

9. Officer continued to fire until the suspect was no longer a threat (as per police training).
      Added some more information above.

Either way there was no need for the kid to die over a bit of dope, a $5 pack of cigars and some measure of belligerence, is it so black and white if you'll pardon the pun, could the Officer not have shot him in the legs or kneecaps, are they not trained to assess at situation, is it just shoot the perp and that's it? Another life lost?
      Quite simply, no the officer could not do that. They are trained to aim at the centre of mass when they fire to minimse collateral damage. Also a few bullets in the leg are unlikely to stop someone that size immediately. He might well still reach you, fall on you and wrestle the gun out of your hand (as he had attempted to do previously). Also, the kid was shot and killed for attempting to assault a police officer - nothing else is relevant. You can remove his colour, his previous crimes etc. but if he had charged at the officer whilst the officer had a weapon drawn and was trying to arrest him then he would have been shot until he was no longer a threat.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Added some more information above.

Quite simply, no the officer could not do that. They are trained to aim at the centre of mass when they fire to minimse collateral damage. Also a few bullets in the leg are unlikely to stop someone that size immediately. He might well still reach you, fall on you and wrestle the gun out of your hand (as he had attempted to do previously). Also, the kid was shot and killed for attempting to assault a police officer - nothing else is relevant. You can remove his colour, his previous crimes etc. but if he had charged at the officer whilst the officer had a weapon drawn and was trying to arrest him then he would have been shot until he was no longer a threat.
        This is quite interesting, not sure if it proves anything though...

What do the newly released witness statements tell us about the Michael Brown shooting? | PBS NewsHour

Comment

The forensic evidence doesn't seem to jive with him having raised his hands up in surrender, IIRC. Plus, given the lead up to that, does it sound very plausible that it would mean much at all to the officer even if he did?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            The forensic evidence doesn't seem to jive with him having raised his hands up in surrender, IIRC. Plus, given the lead up to that, does it sound very plausible that it would mean much at all to the officer even if he did?
            The only evidence that would be any good is a video.

We know that police officers lie to save their skin and the US are not very good at not doing proper forensics.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              The only evidence that would be any good is a video.

We know that police officers lie to save their skin and the US are not very good at not doing proper forensics.
              We do? We know that no one in the US is good at doing proper forensics?

Comment

What evidence did the jury not consider that it should have? Also, unless you have evidence that the forensics in question were flawed, I see little reason to discount them. I don't tend to trust the police or the government but that is irrelevant to whether the officer is guilty of anything. What video evidence there is of Brown shows that he's a rather repulsive thug. His oh so concerned family, even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  What evidence did the jury not consider that it should have? Also, unless you have evidence that the forensics in question were flawed, I see little reason to discount them. I don't tend to trust the police or the government but that is irrelevant to whether the officer is guilty of anything. What video evidence there is of Brown shows that he's a rather repulsive thug. His oh so concerned family, even worse.
                  Don't forget that he was unarmed! Because a pumped up 20 stone man simply cannot hurt you without a weapon.

When I got into a brawl with a night club bouncer in Portsmouth a few years ago. I remember thinking I woke up in the car park after having my head stamped on "good job he was unarmed or I might have been hurt!".

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    Don't forget that he was unarmed! Because a pumped up 20 stone man simply cannot hurt you without a weapon.

When I got into a brawl with a night club bouncer in Portsmouth a few years ago. I remember thinking I woke up in the car park after having my head stamped on "good job he was unarmed or I might have been hurt!".
                    I've lost track of the number of coppers I've had a ruck with in the late 70's at the match, suppose in USA I'd have been pumped full of lead. It was good-natured stuff, some lads had knives (Stanleys) but all they got was an equal kicking and/or some hosepipe work.

Comment

I've lost track of the number of coppers I've had a ruck with in the late 70's at the match, suppose in USA I'd have been pumped full of lead. It was good-natured stuff, some lads had knives (Stanleys) but all they got was an equal kicking and/or some hosepipe work.
                      Yep, a truncheon on the shoulder or back hurts like heck, but it's not disabling, just makes you want to burst the f**ker. Sadly, in the US, if the perp *might* have a weapon, or *might* be a threat and the culture in the police is to take zero risk there is only one choice.

someone asked above about the instant risk assessment. They are trained not to make one. If the risk is anything above zero , they will shoot
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X