• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should we cut obesity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Make income tax rates proportional to your BMI. That'd get people losing weight.
    oh great another nonsensical tax. God knows why anyone uses BMI as a basis as its so obviously flawed, even its inventor pointed out it was unusable for individuals.

There are far more accurate simple measures out there.

Schools now send home letters saying 'your child is overweight' if the child's BMI is 'wrong' she is on the School netball team for $Deities sake. Way to promote anorexia in vulnerable teenagers. feckwits madmad stabbity stab.

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus : NPR

Peta Bee: The BMI myth | Life and style | The Guardian
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Option 1: Exercise everyday, No coffee, No biscuits, No butter, No bacon, No pizza, No beer, Eat greens, Eat fruit, Eat veg.

Option 2:

Is the answer obvious yet?
      Sounds like new-age nonsense to me. Coffee is an infusion of beans in water, which must be extremely natural and healthy.

Butter, bacon and beer are all perfectly fine, people have been eating those for centuries without getting fat. It's only the balance which is important.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

There is no one answer, it needs to be a mixture of better education of healthy eating (not these fad diets), less processed and more home cooked meals and cheaper fresh food.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Obesity is largely (so to speak) due to having the wrong bacteria in your insides

Are some people doomed to be fat?

(That New Scientist article is behind a pay wall unfortunately.)
          now this makes a lot of sense we have managed to mess our food sources up so much we have broken our bodies in ways we don't yet understand. Junk such as Hydrogenated fat has been going on for decades.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            now this makes a lot of sense we have managed to mess our food sources up so much we have broken our bodies in ways we don't yet understand. Junk such as Hydrogenated fat has been going on for decades.
            In evolutionary terms we haven't even caught up with using fire yet (probably).

It's a fallacy that just because something is made in a factory and/or doesn't normally exist in nature, it's bad, whereas anything made by hand is good. Some sort of hippie legacy IMO, or the greenie propaganda.

Comment

there are some people who have a lower metabolic rate and so 'store' more fat than others.

However that is a long way from being obese - that takes time and effort dedicated to doing nothing more than eating and not taking exercise.

Comment

You don't put effort into not doing exercise and eating too much. Your typical human body doesn't particularly like expending energy for no purpose, and does like storing energy for a rainy day - so getting fat and lazy is the default state.

The whole concept of having to deliberately do exercise purely to avoid obesity is a problem because that definitely isn't "natural"

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Sounds like new-age nonsense to me. Coffee is an infusion of beans in water, which must be extremely natural and healthy.

Butter, bacon and beer are all perfectly fine, people have been eating those for centuries without getting fat. It's only the balance which is important.
                  Yes, I agree. I would choose to kill myself than follow the propaganda bull$tulip and "be healthy".

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Yes, including coffee in the list sounds pretty nonsensical, because that is likely to make you more active and burn extra calories.

Although if it makes you insomniac, so you sleep fewer hours each day, that can paradoxically put on weight.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      oh great another nonsensical tax. God knows why anyone uses BMI as a basis as its so obviously flawed, even its inventor pointed out it was unusable for individuals.

There are far more accurate simple measures out there.

Schools now send home letters saying 'your child is overweight' if the child's BMI is 'wrong' she is on the School netball team for $Deities sake. Way to promote anorexia in vulnerable teenagers. feckwits madmad stabbity stab.

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus : NPR

Peta Bee: The BMI myth | Life and style | The Guardian
                      Yeah BMI is absolute balls according to my BMI I'm obese and that is far from the truth you can even tell that just by looking at me, BMI is heightist
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X